TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 93

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Dec 18 10:35:19 PST 2006

December 18, 20006

Dear Friends,

	Feyna forgot to get a present for me.  I
laughed.  She was horrified.  I told her to get
me a present some time during Channukah.  She
still has time.  The funny thing is, we have this
running joke together.  She'll say, "I love you
Mom, and only because you just gave me an iPod."
And I'll say, "That's the only reason I gave it
to you, so you'd love me."   She was going
through her tortuous apologies for not having
gotten me a present, and asked if I'd forgive
her.  I told her that when she got me a present
I'd love her again.  We both laughed.

	Meyshe wrote a note to me that he
attached to the package he gave me.  It said, "I
love you so dearly my heart cries like a Robin."
What can you say to something like that?  I saved
it.  My children will find it among my effects
after I've passed from this world into the wormy
earth.  They'll have to figure out what to do
with it.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

In the Washing Machine

	The apartment in Hyattsville was tiny,
though being only two years old, it didn't seem
tiny to me.  My mother tells me it was barely
adequate.  I remember how our "barely adequate"
world looked tall, and towered over me from way
down on the floor where everything was happening
for me.  I looked at the undersides of tables,
couldn't reach a doorknob.  I remember that my
parents called in to speak to Milton Berle who
was on the television asking people to call in
and talk to him.  This is how I recall it, though
the reality may be far from that.  I saw the
telephone sitting on the table from below, and
the cord seemed to be coming from the ceiling.
There they were, my parents and my older sister,
talking to "Uncle Miltie" on the telephone while
I crawled for a living on the floor.  We had a
doll we called Uncle Miltie.  It had long long
legs with horizontal striped stockings on it, red
and white.  I don't remember the head or the
torso, just those gangly legs sticking out of the
clown clothes.  Uncle Miltie was my favourite
doll, and I loved his long stripedy legs that
dangled from his body.  When we moved from
Hyattsville to the house in Silver Spring,
Maryland, Uncle Miltie got lost in the shuffle
and I never saw him again.  So many things can
happen during a move.  I know this well.  So the
disappearance of a four foot tall doll would not
seem overly noteworthy.  That sort of thing
happens.

	Surprisingly enough, I have retained
quite a lot in my  mind about our two year tenure
in the Hyattsville apartments.  My mother has
told me the story of how I got lost in the
apartment building complex and scared her nearly
half to death.  She had just turned around to do
something and when she turned back, Tobie was
gone.  This was a fairly frequent event.  Mom
turns around for a split second and Tobie is out
the door, down the stairs and out into the big
bad world.  I think, looking back, that either I
knew something about life in my nuclear family,
or that I have lost some daring somewhere along
the road.  When she found me missing, she was
frightened for me.  I was only two years old.
She looked everywhere on our side of the
East/West Highway for me, in all the buildings,
and exhausted the places where I might be hiding.
No, she was certain that Tobie had somehow
crossed the great East/West Highway to the
apartment complex on the other side of the
expressway.  She gulped hard.  This was a huge,
six lane thoroughfare.  How could this little two
year old navigate her way across that great road
and wind up in one piece?  Last she saw me, I had
on a t-shirt and my red rubber rain boots.  End
of costume.  No pants.  She crossed the highway
that I'd crossed before her.  She made an
exhaustive search for me in all the buildings,
and in all the little playgrounds.  She finally
found me.  I was totally nude.  No nothing.

	"Where did you put your shirt and your boots, Tobie?"

	I told her I put them in the washing
machine.  This made her reel.  The whole of the
basements to the apartment buildings was given
over to endless washing machines and dryers, rows
and rows of them in each building.

	"Show me which washing machine," my
mother prompted me.  And I brought her by the
hand to one washing machine in one building,
where we found a t-shirt, another washing machine
in another building where we found one rubber
boot, and a third washing machine in a third
building where we found the other rain boot.  My
mother dressed me such as it was and brought me
back over the East/West Highway.  Now, I was
clothed again, ready for the next tiny person's
challenge.

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net