TheBanyanTree: it must be a guy thang

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Sun Dec 17 11:52:06 PST 2006

I certainly don't get it.

Why does a guy, at some point in his life, feel compelled to shave his head?

My dad chose the ultra-buzz look right before my wedding, so it's
captured on film. Oy.

My husband did it...sneakily though, while he was out of town. Can we
say big sissy coward? <g>

My brother went so far as to buy a razor and do it himself. Not one of
his best decisions, since he missed spots in the back and looked kinda
goofy for awhile.

A bestest friend did it and was so happy with himself, while leaving me
totally bewildered, although I tried to act delighted. <rolling eyes
with a grin>

And now my son decided (out of the blue!) that it would be fun to shave
his head. He says this will be the one time that he will be able to do
so. He's between semesters at college and doesn't plan on starting a job
until January, so I can understand his reasoning in one regard.

But geez, I honestly don't get the shaving the head thang!!!!!! I
offered to do it since I thought I could take it reeeeeeeeeeally short
and that would be good enough. Uh-uh. After looking in the mirror, he
then took the razor out of my hand and buzzed a spot ultra short right
in front, so there was only one option left to make it look uniform. He
looks like he's heading off to boot camp any second!

A few years ago, there was the time he wanted to dye his hair red. And I
do mean fire engine red, not auburn or an actual
anything-close-to-normal-red-hair-color. I was ok with that. I'm ok with
his sister's nose piercing. I went with her and paid for it as part of
her birthday gift. It looks elegant and suits her. Her boss with her
many degrees has one, so there's no drawback related to her choice of
career in autism behavioral therapy. As soon as my scar heals enough
(the studio requires a year) I have my tattoo already in mind and am
counting the days.

So it's not a parochial attitude on my part. Nope. It's just utter
befuddlement over the all-of-a-sudden decision to shave all the hair off
your head because it will be fun.

Guys. Go figure. <g>

...Sachet

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parochial>