TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 92

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Dec 17 08:22:53 PST 2006

December 17, 2000000000006

Dear Thronglike Masses,

	Today is the day the whole family gets
together for the Channukah Potlatch.  I call it a
potlatch because it does seem that we are giving
away all our earthly means and goods.  The pile
under the piano is obscenely large.  My brother
will wade into it and hand out presents.  This
year due to financial circumstances beyond my
control, I had to pare down my gift giving.  This
felt bad.  Bad.  But I'm satisfied that I've
chosen, scouted out, discovered, come across the
right presents.

	I splurged on three people: Meyshe,
Feyna, and my mother.  I got Meyshe a 33 CD-Rom
World Languages course.  Among the CDs  (one for
every language) are Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese,
Hebrew, Arabic, Korean, Swedish.  These are some
of the languages he's shown interest in in the
past.  Right now he's on a Tibetan jag.  He says
good morning to me in Tibetan: Tashi Delek, which
means, literally translated, "Good fortune".  So
he'll be thrilled.  I got Feyna an iPod with her
engraved message on it: "*anonymous sound*
feyna at shpilchas.net".  She has been moaning about
an iPod for ages.  So here it is.  I will lose my
daughter to her headphones.  For my mother, I
contracted a book search company and had them
locate two books that my mother remembers from
her childhood, "Nize Baby", and, "Hiawatta Wit No
Odder Poems.," both by Milt Gross.  And then I
got her several computer games, notably solitaire
and shanghai, because she suffered a recent total
melt down crash of her hard disk, and none of the
games she was used to playing were retrievable.
She lost it all.  So now she can waste time in
the manner and quantity of how I waste time.

	I know one thing I'm getting from my
mother: six pairs of socks.  All my socks have
holes in them, and I was desperately looking for
socks when we were out shopping together.  So my
mother said, "See the wall of socks?  Pick some
out."  I picked out four.  She said, "Make it
six".  I did as told.  She asked, "Should I give
them to you now, or wrap them up for Channukah?"
I said, "Wrap them up."  By now I've forgotten
exactly what they looked like so it will be a
surprise.   If only someone has found some good
serviceable underwear for me, I'll be happy.

¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Snipped

	Once, I was on a local bay area morning
television show.  You know, one of those typical,
"Good Morning, Secaucus", types of shows, where
there is usually a male host with a female
sidekick who does the flirting, and a live
audience.  They bring in guests who are pushing a
book or workshops, or have some sort of something
to sell.  And in this particular instance, I was
on as a handwriting analyst.  They thought it
would be good if they had the audience write
things down on three by five cards and then they
would hand the stack to me.  I could leaf through
them, select a few and shoot out of my ex tempora
mouth a few surprising things about these people.
Well, I told them that a three by five card is
one of the worst ways to get a sample of
handwriting because you have to alter your
writing to fit something on the card.  The people
in the audience would not be seated comfortably
at a table with a solid surface on which to
write, and they wouldn't be proffering any
sizeable sample but just a snippet, not a
representative chunk of writing.  The host asked
me if I could get anything at all out of the
three by fives, and I said that I could, but it
wouldn't be startling.  He said, "We'll do it,"
and I inhaled swiftly through my front teeth, the
cold air hitting the enamel.

	My husband, Bernie, (this was number two
husband) was there with me.  He went on all the
outings for my public appearances.  He'd stand
there in the background, shuffling about and
being depressed and overweight.  Plus, he was a
weight on me, around my neck, pulling down -
someone more to take care of besides myself, in a
public situation.  Nevertheless, he did provide a
back drop.  (Say!  This woman has a
manager/husband!  Neat trick!)  That is how he
would introduce himself, as my manager and
husband,  even though he never did a single jot
of managing me, and was pretty damn shy on the
husband part, too.  He even chafed at his
position of, the-man-behind-the-woman.  But that
was his chosen role.

	When they set me up on a stool and handed
me the three by fives, I took a look through to
select some outstanding traits.  I found one
person who was a sentimental romantic, a sucker
for roses and I love you, no matter who was
issuing the statement.  Then I found someone very
physical, a real jock, someone into pumping iron
or lifting cars by their bumpers.  And I found
someone with a hot temper.  These were easy
things to find - obvious signs in handwriting.
Child's play.  As I spouted about the people on
the cards, they would stand up, and I'd address
them.  Then they would invariably look
astonished.  "How can you tell that?!  That is
spooky!"  But when I got to the man with the
temper, it went a little differently.  He stood
up in the second row, smiling at me.

	"You have a slow burning temper.  It
causes quite a bit of trouble for you.  You get
mad a lot.  You carry it around with you."

	He sneered, "I don't get mad; I get even!"

	And I laughed, "That's 'mad' in my book."

	The host clapped his hands, said, "We're batting a thousand."

	"How would you like me to do yours?" I asked him.

	"Oh no!" he refused soundly.  "I can see
that this stuff really works.  Let's do the
audience."

	"You are a man with much to hide," I
quipped, and smiled a large friendly grin.  "See,
I didn't even need your handwriting."

	Getting mad is something that I do as
much as anyone.  I swear at myself when I drop
something.  I seethe at being ignored.  But it
takes quite a lot to unpeel me, and make me
spring.  I don't get even.  I wondered about this
man from the audience.  What would it be like
going around getting even all the time?  I never
even tried to get even with my father.  I'd just
go off licking my wounds, sit in my room with
tears streaming down my face, shaking with rage
and humiliation.  But it never occurred to me to
get even.  What could I do?

	Then, one evening, I was sitting in the
kitchen preparing to do my bulimic thing.  I had
a big salad bowl full of thick salad, with
greens, corn, avocado, onion, olives, cheese and
a good creamy dressing.  I'd cooked some soup and
had that on to boil.  There may have been bread
and leftover dinner.  I'd set out a groaning
board before me.  I'd set aside time after
everyone had gone to bed, pull the accordion
doors to the kitchen shut, wait until I figured
everyone was asleep, then I'd go through the
piles of food, load at a time.  I'd eat until I
was bursting, then rush off to the bathroom and
throw it all up.  Go back to the kitchen and
start all over again.  It was my addiction, and
the only way I knew how to lavish something upon
myself.  Hours could go by.  Me and my fork and
spoon, maybe a knife to spread butter on the
bread.  Sometimes, I kept my treats in my car,
outside, and didn't bring them in until the house
was asleep.  Then I'd go out to the car in
secret, wheel barrow all the food inside and cook
it all up for my nightly ritual.  It seemed that
I'd never get tired of eating.  The taste, the
indulgence, the time wasted while it kept me from
contemplating reality.

	On this occasion, I'd prepared my feast
and was just about to put my fork into it, when
the accordion door to the kitchen opened up, and
my father walked through.  He busied himself in
the next room, collecting a book to read, or
doing something fairly innocent, and then passed
through again on his way back upstairs to bed.
My heart raced, and my sense of balance was
challenged.  No one was supposed to know what I
did downstairs after everyone was in bed.  The
order for the evening was to eat everything in
sight and throw it up, then clean up so there
wasn't a trace of evidence of my behaviour.  Then
I'd go get out the cocaine, and spend the rest of
the night rattling around with art work, or
writing, composing, going back to the little
white piles of coke whenever the effect of the
coke drooped somewhat.  I'd finally turn in with
a good dose of tranquilizers and get to bed
around four in the morning.  That was the plan.
But my father walked through the kitchen,
exposing me.  He seemed oblivious to the scene,
oblivious to the significance of his daughter
standing in the middle of several troughs of
food, with a fork in her hand and the television
wheeled in to face the table.  He kept his eyes
on his own private mission and disappeared
upstairs again.

	This set something off in my head.  He
had trespassed on my solitude, on my very vital
privacy.  It was as if he'd walked in on me while
I had the tourniquet on my arm and a needle in my
vein.  It was as if he'd violated me once again.
This was not to be seen by anyone, and the fact
that it was he, my enemy, the scourge of my life,
the villain in the works, triggered a burning
rage inside me.  After he left the room, I paced
back and forth, not knowing what to do.  I had to
do something.

	The next day, in the morning, he was
scheduled to get on a plane and go to a
conference on the east coast.  He was packed and
ready to go to the early morning limousine that
would take  him to the airport.  He took his
violin with him all the time, so he could play
chamber music with the other registered
conferees.  That Amatius Albanis violin had been
all over the world.  He took his International
Amateur Chamber Music Society's membership book
with him and would call other amateur musicians
in the city where the convention was being held.
He'd go out in the evening and play his violin.
Poorly.  Well.  It didn't matter.

	I crept upstairs to his den, the room
where he practiced.  I opened his violin case,
took out the scissors that I'd brought from
downstairs and I cut through all four of his
strings.  Just snipped the strings straight
through, from E to G, a clean cut.  Then I closed
the case and went back downstairs, replaced the
scissors and went about my bulimic business.  I
knew that the moment of discovery would be one
hell of a surprise.  What could have caused this?
It could have been the air pressure in the
airplane.  It could have been sabotage.  It would
be a mystery.  This was the one time in my life
that I ever acted out against my father.  For the
decades of abuse, both psychological and
physical, this was my revenge.  This was my
getting even.

	I never heard a word about the violin
strings, not from my father, not from my mother.
It was as if he knew he'd done enough wrong that
he couldn't get angry at me.  What would he
accuse me of?  How could he prove it?  I stopped
quaking with fear, when he'd been back home a
whole day and nothing had been said.  The revenge
was sweet.  It was heady.  It was even poetic.
But I didn't push my luck and try anything ever
again.  Once was enough.

¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥å¥

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net