TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 90

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Dec 15 08:21:33 PST 2006

December 15, 2000000000000000000000000000006

Dear Assembled Throng,

	Channukah starts tonight.  We have our
menorahs and candles at the ready.  I have
purchased little presents to give the kids after
each lighting.  We will  have a little bit of a
hard time with my mother over the candles.  She
is nervous about leaving something lit after she
goes to bed, or if she leaves the house.  The
candles are supposed to burn until they burn
themselves out.  She will blow them out if we're
leaving the house, especially during the last
days when each menorah has seven, eight, nine
candles burning.  She'll want me to put them in
the sink, or blow them out.  So we'll wait until
they burn out before we go anywhere.  It is I
whose house burned down in the fire of 1991 who
should be so nervous around flames.  And I am,
but not like this.  My mother is a Brodofsky, and
the Brodofskys worry;  they worry; they worry
professionally.  Happy Channukah to those who
celebrate it, and to those who don't, Merry
Christmas, and to those who don't, best of the
season, or Happy Kwanza, or happy whatever you
celebrate if at all.  And if you don't celebrate
a thing, think of celebrating something, just to
celebrate life.  Life in the middle of the winter.

                                 ®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®

¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢

No Ice

	My father's mother, Lena, was an odd
bird.  She was also remarkable.  However weird
she was, and she was weird, to be illustrated
soon, she was also admirable.  She came over from
the old country, Lithuania, as a young girl, and
as she grew up, she decided she wanted to be a
teacher.  This was a lofty goal for a greenhorn,
speaking no English when she arrived, coming from
an orthodox Jewish family.  Her father didn't
approve of Lena's intentions to go to school and
study to become a teacher.  He said, "Vos villst
a Maidel in schule?" (What does a girl want in
school?)  He forbade it, wanted her to stay home
and cook, clean and sew for her six brothers.
This did not extinguish her ambitions.  She went
to school anyway, and pinned her lessons to her
apron strings so that she could study while she
did her house chores (homework).  She got through
school, graduated, got her teaching certificate,
and became an English teacher.  She was the first
woman in the family to achieve any degree of
schooling.

	This said, we must now emphasize that she
was an odd bird.  First of all, she spoke in a
slow deliberate whisper.  It was spooky.  Then,
she moved in slow deliberate ways.  It was agony
watching her locomote across the room to do a
simple task, the task could be like, well,
walking across the room, and it seemed to occupy
all eight cylinders.  The mighty engine worked at
full throttle to get her legs moving at a
lethargic pace.  One leg first, and then the next
leg, and then the first one again, and in this
way, alternating legs, she finally made her way
from one end of the room to the other.  There was
no apparent reason for her sloth.  She was sharp
as a whip and fully capable of faster tempos, but
she chose to take on this glacial pace.  That is
the way she spoke, and the way she moved.  And
her speech was affected with a new England
accent, even though she was from Lithuania.  How
did she get that accent?  What's more, her
behaviour was off.  Just off.  My father
worshipped her, told my mother that she was
perfect.  And it did seem that that's what she
aspired to.  She aimed for sainthood,
selflessness, generosity, martyrdom.  But she
gave herself away all the time.  She invited my
mother to an Hadassah luncheon, for which she had
to earn my mother's ticket.  And my mother tells
this story with a little bit of a shudder.  This
was one of my mother's first occasions with Lena,
and, according to my father's pronouncements, my
mother was expecting a saint.  All afternoon,
when any of Lena's acquaintances approached her,
she pinned them down and introduced them to my
mother saying,  "Darling, this is my new
daughter-in-law, Mickey.  Do you know what I did
to earn her ticket today?  I grated seventeen
jars of horseradish.  Seventeen jars!"  My mother
heard this same speech repeated countless times
that afternoon, and by the time the event was
over, and she'd been introduced in that fashion
to the countless acquaintances, my mother felt
that the gleaming shine coming off of Lena
Shapiro was a bit tarnished.

	When she came to visit us, she would
insist on making herself useful, as she put it.
She would offer to mend clothing or make blintzes
or kreplach.  She was an execrable cook.
Everything came  out blander than bland.  While
she wasn't looking, we'd shake pepper and salt
into whatever she was making just so we could
taste it.  Her cookies, when she dared to make
them, came out hard, because she saved on the
butter.  Once, when my cousin Joell was at
college, she received a package from Lena in the
mail.  She was excited about what it could be,
maybe a sweater?  When she opened it up, it was a
box of cookies, and she was so disappointed that
she hurled one against the wall.  It exploded
into a million crumbs and fell to the floor,
leaving a dent in the plaster.  And then there
was the mysterious package that never arrived at
the homestead in Portland, Oregon.  She called
enquiring whether they had received a box full of
honey cakes, and Joell, overhearing the
conversation, burst out laughing.  She'd read in
the local paper that there was a package in the
dead letter office, a heavy soggy thing, dripping
honey, whose address had been smeared off by the
contents of the box.  There were many letters
stuck to it, and it was just sitting there
undeliverable, collecting flies.

	Lena had a strange way of doing a favour
for us.  She would mend the clothing, but leave
the sewing kit, the spools of thread, the sewing
machine, the scissors, scraps of material, out
all over the place for my mother to clean up.
When she insisted on making blintzes, she would
introduce it in this fashion:

	"Mickey, darling, you will go to the
store for me and buy one pound of farmer's
cheese, one pound of cottage cheese, and one
pound of sour cream, so that I can make blintzes
for you."

	Farmer's cheese was a difficult
ingredient to find.  It often took an entire
afternoon of shopping to locate some.  Then the
kitchen would be left in a shambles just like the
table she chose to do the sewing on.  It sounds
like little stuff, but added up, it made for an
off balance martyr.

	One evening, during one of her visits
from Portland, Oregon, she was sitting at the
kitchen island, on a high stool, talking with my
mother.  She turned slowly to me and asked me,
"Tobie, darling, would you be so kind as to get
me a glass of water?"  She said it in her sicky
sweet voice that curled my toes.  I was a young
teenager, and wanting to do good.  I got a glass,
a sparkling clean glass, and went to special
trouble putting a small pile of ice cubes in the
glass.  Then I filled the glass with cold water
and waited for the bubbles to settle.  I did this
all quickly so as not to keep Gramma waiting.  I
set the glass of water down, carefully, in front
of her, and said, "Here you are, Gramma."  I was
proud of my effort to do a good job, even on a
humble glass of water.

	The moment I set the glass down before
her, she picked it up, rose out of her chair, and
started the slow journey across the room.  Where
was she going?  She'd said nothing.  Her placid
face showed nothing, just a blank expression.
One foot after the other, she walked toward the
sink, and as she passed by it, she gave a quick,
sudden flip of her wrist, and tossed most of the
contents of the glass into the sink with its ice
cubes clanking on the enamel.  She said, simply,
and firmly, "No ice!" and circled back to her
chair.

	If I could only act this out for you, you
would roll on the floor laughing.  "No ice!" has
been a standard expression used for any similar
circumstance, when someone has gone to great
lengths to please another human being, and the
efforts have been soundly and unceremoniously
trashed.

	"No ice!"

                                 ®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®ø®

--