TheBanyanTree: The Joy of Christmas

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Dec 9 06:15:07 PST 2006

I don’t celebrate Christmas in the religious sense, because I’m not a
Christian.  I was brought up Lutheran.  I went to church and sang in the
choir, but when I became an adult none of that stuff made sense to me
anymore, so I became more agnostic in my beliefs.  Maybe there is . . .
maybe there isn’t . . . but I do believe there is a mysterious element that
I can’t get my hands around.  There is some kind of spirituality or force
moving through my life, but I don’t necessarily identify it as Christian.

Unlike some Christians, I don’t mouth the ten commandants and the gospel to
everyone and then do what I please outside of church.  I believe in “do unto
others” and “charity” and “telling the truth” and being inclusive rather
than exclusive.

All my beliefs, mingling with the way I was raised, contribute to the joy I
find during this time of year.  Even though I’m not a Christian, December
gives me peace and happiness and hope.  Regardless of anyone’s religious
beliefs, it’s good to have some time in order to reflect on things that are
spiritual in nature, and for me, that time is Christmas.

Some years Christmas is like a weight on my back and I force myself to get
through all the activities.  Other years Christmas is a snap and I skip
through the season with a lightness in my heart.

This year is a snap year.  I was worried about how to decorate the new
house, but everything fell into place.  The lights are up outside.  The
house is decorated.  The cards are almost done.  I have completed most of my
shopping.  And I put up the tree last night.

Usually I hate doing the tree because it takes so long to hang each little
ornament and I have a million of them.  Sometimes Ray helps me.  I think
last year, Ray did most of the tree decorating, because our house was for
sale and I just didn’t care.

But this year, all Ray did was put the tree together.  I put some Christmas
CDs on the stereo and off I went.  Even though I have a million ornaments,
each of them means something to me.  Some of the ornaments are from my
grandparents.  Some of them are mine from childhood.  Some of them I bought
when I barely had any money to buy anything.  Others are my son’s.  My life
history and now Ray’s history, because I still buy a few ornaments every
year, become the decorations for the tree.

Before I knew it, the tree was decked out in its Christmas finery.  Our
small living room drew inward with the big tree dominating the room.  Ray
and I sit together on the couch with reds, greens, and whites, accented by
tiny colored lights, surrounding us, and keeping us warm in our hearts on
these long and cold winter nights.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

Isn't it funny that at Christmas something in you gets so lonely for - I
don't know what exactly, but it's something that you don't mind so much not
having at other times.
~Kate L. Bosher