TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 78

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Dec 3 10:58:51 PST 2006

December 3, 200000000000000000000000006

Dear Every Single One,

	The power went out in the middle of the
night.  It woke me up.  Suddenly the house was
quiet, and the resounding lack of noise stunned
me awake.  I usually have a fan going in the
room.  It creates a background noise that helps
me sleep.  And then, I have one of those sound
makers in the room.  It's a good one.  Has a
choice of basic noise: creek, forest, railroad,
surf, rain, thunder storm.  I choose surf.  Then
you can add details: crickets, owls, hawks, buoy,
songbirds, frogs, railroad signals, seagulls,
loons.   I have this whole symphony going when I
hit the hay.  So it all stopped, and I woke up.
Couldn't get back to sleep.  I need the noise.
Imagine me camping with my battery run noise
maker.  There I am in the forest with the surf
sounds emanating from a little black box.  It's
ludicrous.  The power came back on at around
7:00, and I went around fixing the clocks.  The
microwave was saying, "Welcome to Panasonic".
Indeed.  Welcome to the morning.  Welcome to the
electricity.  Welcome home.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
                        ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Has the milk come in yet?

	Back in the days when my mother was
having her offspring, the philosophies about
giving birth and raising children were very
different.  The professional opinions were that
midwives were held in some disrespect, and babies
were all to be born in hospitals.  Natural
childbirth was what women were trying to get away
from.  There was no La Maze.  Fathers sat out in
the waiting rooms, or stayed at home playing
cards with their buddies until word came, "You're
a father.  Mother and daughter are both fine.
Visiting hours are from noon to seven."

	For all three of us, my mother was put
under before the pain of contractions had gotten
too bad.  And the doctors more or less dragged us
out of our mother while she was temporarily under
anesthesia.  Then we were cleaned up, inspected
and handed to the sleepy new mommy.  It was all
men's advice, because almost all doctors were
men.  There, of course, were exceptions, but the
people writing books entitled things like,
"Painless Childbirth", spouting that the pain of
childbirth was all in a woman's head, were men.
It was a male obstetrician/gynecologist who told
my mother that her nipples were too small to
breast feed.  But bottle fed babies were more the
norm, then.  This was in the United States just
after World War II.  Decades later, with the
women's movement, things changed dramatically.
So my mother never even tried to breast feed us.
She just let the milk dry up and fed us with
formula.  She held us close; I've seen the
photographs.  But there was no mother's milk.

	By the time I was pregnant with my twins,
La Maze classes were de rigeur, and fathers
attended these classes with their partners,
learning how to breathe and hold back, push or
relax.  Fathers were expected in the delivery
room and were sometimes the first to see the
babies.  Since my pregnancy was high risk, we
didn't expect natural childbirth.  Well, what's
unnatural childbirth?  I suppose that's when the
mother is in the next room.  I was frankly
petrified of childbirth with twins.  Twice the
pain, and maybe four times the duration, many
times more the risk of complications.  I dreaded
the thought.  When they told me that it was a
high risk pregnancy, I didn't really believe it
in a visceral way.  It registered, but failed to
stop me in my tracks.  Now, I look back on it,
and I see why they told me that I should get a
chorionic villus biopsy instead of waiting twenty
one weeks for an amniocentesis.  The idea was
that if something were discovered to have been
wrong with the fetuses at that late date,
terminating the pregnancy and starting all over
again could be life threatening.

	Life threatening, PAH!  It didn't even
phase me.  I knew myself to be strong as an ox.
Maybe on the small side, but durable.  But as the
pregnancy wore on, those words began to make
sense.  I was thirty nine.  It was my first
pregnancy.  I was very small.  I weighed ninety
eight pounds when I got pregnant, and one hundred
fifty three when I gave birth.  I started having
contractions according to the technological
miracle monitor they attached to me, whenever I
got up and moved around, so they put me in a
wheelchair for long distances.  I walked, when I
walked, with a cane.  There was stress on the
urinary tract and I came down with one of my
famous kidney infections in the fifth month,
necessitating hospitalization for a week.

	In the hospital on the maternity ward
were all sorts of mothers-to-be.  All in various
stages of hugeness.  There we all were, expecting
at some time to issue forth new lives.  All of us
a little scared, all of us very hungry.  And what
did the hospital's kitchen put on our plates?
Tiny little servings of oval chicken, a
tablespoon of string beans (frozen), a miniature
roll with one thin pat of butter, a tablespoon of
baked potato, dry.  For dessert, tapioca in a wee
little bowl.  We were all outraged.  We are
eating for two or in my case, three.  Bring us
real food!  Bring it in wheel barrows!  Bring it
in troughs!  Bring it in bulk!  We will down it
and ask for more.  I shared my room with a
sixteen year old girl.  This was her second
pregnancy, and the one before, she had
miscarried.  Sixteen, and on her second
pregnancy.  Her family came to visit her.  Her
mother was abusive, shouting at her derisively
that she was worthless, that her boyfriend was
worthless, that she would make a lousy mother,
that she wasn't worth the social security she was
collecting.  And when her family was all around
her, the talk was all of who was in prison, who
was going to go get the social security checks,
who had knocked whom up, and who got into a
fight.  It sounded like a life no newborn should
enter into.  And here we were all in the
maternity ward doing everything we could to save
that baby.  And that's as it should be.  I found
the conversations around the next bed, riveting
and awful.  Once, the girl's mother came over to
my side of the room and approached me, as I lay
there writing.

	"Could I ask you a question?"

	"Of course.  As long as I can tell you I
don't want to answer once you've asked it."

	"That's fair," she said.  "I was
wondering.  You're thirty nine.  Why did you wait
so long to have children?"

	I was reeling with commentary.  But I
couldn't be completely honest, not candid anyway.

	"Because I was waiting to find the right
man to have children with, and because I wanted
to wait until I thought I'd be a good mother.  I
would have been an awful mother when I was
younger."

	This answer seemed to satisfy her, but
she looked a little confused, as if any sort of
consideration when planning children was
impossible.  You didn't plan, you just had.  And
I felt sympathy for the baby in the next woman's
belly, and relief for mine.  I wanted to provide
the warmest, most loving home for my twins, no
matter how scared I was of becoming a mother.

	The twins were late.  Twins are expected
to be born at thirty six weeks rather than the
thirty nine weeks for singletons.  But it was
past thirty nine weeks, and I was still pregnant.
Huge.  Gigantic.  I looked like a beach ball with
little twigs for legs and arms, a nubbin for a
head.  What a trophy!  When I showed up for my
weekly sonogram, there was money passed
underneath the table.

	"Still pregnant?"

	"What does it look like?  A little gas?"

	That was what my mother's mother
suggested it could be when my mother told her she
was pregnant.  I suppose she just didn't want to
imagine that my mother was in that family way.
"Maybe it's just a little cold."  "Maybe it's
just a little gas."  By the time my brother came
along seven years after me, she finally accepted
the diagnosis.

	On my last exam before the twins were
born, they discovered that one of the fetuses had
turned sideways, the head on my right side, the
feet on my left.  The two were facing each other
in there, their arms and legs in a tangle.  So
the decision was made for a scheduled C-section.
This was a Wednesday, and they asked me when I
wanted to do it.

	"Today.  Now,"  I answered, tired of
pregnancy and looking forward to being able to
get up out of a chair again without two strong
men to help me, one on each arm.

	"It can't be today.  But it can be either Friday or Monday."

	"Friday!"

	"Does it matter to you that it's going to
be Friday the thirteenth?  It might bother some
people."

	"No.  Good luck.  Friday.  Do it."

	So for a couple of days, when people
asked me when I was due, I could say, "Friday
morning at eight o'clock."  Feyna was born at
precisely 8:00 a.m., on Friday, March 13th, 1987.
Meyshe was born at 8:01 a.m.  Tell that to your
astrologer.

	When I was trundled off to my room, they
brought in the babies.  Baby girl A and Baby Boy
B.  I named them instantly.  The names were
waiting.  And then a curious thing happened.  The
nurse kept asking me if the milk had, "come in".
"Has your milk come in?" she'd say, and lean
forward to prod my huge breasts.

	"I don't know what you mean." I told her, curling my eyebrows.

	"You'll know," she responded, and she
seemed to know what she was talking about.

	I examined two little infants, every inch
of them.  I am convinced this is biological.  We
examine.  We are driven.  It is instinct.  There
is so much that is instinct.  But we humans don't
like to think we're susceptible to it.  We are.
I can't tell you how much.  Just don't leave me
alone with the afterbirth.

	"Has the milk come in yet?" and she
reached over and poked my breasts again.  This
was the second morning.

	"I don't know," I replied.

	"You'll know," she said.

	Their ears were all crinkled up.  They
calmed when I held them.  I tried to nurse them,
but they weren't too enthusiastic.  Maybe they
were full of mother blood nutrients, placenta
stew.  The third morning, the nurse sat herself
down in front of me.

	"Has the milk come in?"  She reached
forward and knocked on my right breast.  "KLANK"
"Yup.  It came in."

	Then Feyna and Meyshe nursed heartily,
and I was the proud owner of two humongous
breasts that could shoot five little streams of
milk any direction I aimed them.  I shot David in
the chest.  I shot my foot.  I had fun with my
new toys.  I was a mother.  Something I swore I'd
never be.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA