TheBanyanTree: Reindeer Run

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Dec 3 06:47:48 PST 2006

We didn’t run with the reindeer yesterday, because we’re not that fast.  And
there were so many.   It took 20 minutes for all the reindeer runners to go
past the starting line before the walkers could start their trek around Lake
Harriet in Minneapolis.  They ran because it was so cold.  The temperature
at race time was like 10 degrees with a –1 wind-chill.  Sure, the sun was
out, but it wasn’t giving off any heat whatsoever.

My son and grandsons joined me on the Reindeer Run, which is a fun 5K
sponsored by Lifetime Fitness.  I really like the Reindeer Run, I think is
my fifth Run, because the walk around Lake Harriet is beautiful, cold or
not.  The lake is surrounded by a park and the park is surrounded by new and
old gorgeous homes.  At one point, we can see downtown Minneapolis’ skyline
along with Lake Harriet’s unique band shell on the shore.  I didn’t take a
picture, because my hands were took cold to dig out my camera.

I also like the Run because of all the people.  I told my son that he
probably didn’t know that there are this many runners in the Twin Cities
area.  The place was mobbed with Santa hat or antlered or jingle belled
runners wearing red, green, and other festive colors.  The energy is
incredible.

Finally, I like that it’s associated with Toys for Tots.  I was poor for a
few years, especially when I was in college, and it’s a good feeling for me
that I can now payback.

There is no place to park, the parking lot was being used by the Run people
for set-up and I was later than usual for the Run, but a woman was pulling
out of a spot just as I coming by, so I nabbed it.  It was pretty close to
the beginning of the race, so when we were done, we didn’t have far to walk.
Lucky, lucky us.

Our feet were pretty cold by the time we started, but we kept a good pace,
so our bodies began to warm up.  Poochie, the little one, got tired, and I
think the cold air is hard on his lungs, so Asher carried him on his
shoulders for most of the way.  Pooch is the slowest thing on feet anyway,
and we would still be walking if Asher wouldn’t have carried him.

Boogie was great – he would run, rest, walk, and then run again.  Usually he
hates walking, but he didn’t complain once.  I think both boys got a bit of
frostbite on their cheeks, because of the wind coming off of the lake, and
they weren’t real good about keeping their scarves around their faces.

We grabbed the free food when we were done and headed for the car.  Both
boys gobbled down their bananas and potato chips as I gracefully exited the
Uptown area without getting lost, a first for me.  I asked everyone if the
Run put them in the Christmas spirit, but I got a lot of groans.  Guess not.

I also put on my Martha Stewart Santa hat yesterday and got the house
decorated.  I have a gazillion Christmas things from cute little figures to
a limitless supply of red, white, and green candles.  I found places for
them in our new house and the place looks good.  I thought I might be
overdoing it for the smaller space we’re in, but the decorations make the
house look festive.  I also managed to decorate two small Christmas trees
(one is in my office and the other is on top of our entertainment center)
without complaining.  Tree trimming is not my thing.  Next week, I’ll get
out the fake tree and we’ll get that all decked out.  I like taking
Christmas in stages.

While we were sleeping last night, the temps plummeted, but we got a little
dusting of snow.  We’ve been snowless in the Twin Cities, so it’s nice to
know that it is winter, besides suffering the cold temperatures while the
reindeer are running.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

Isn't it funny that at Christmas something in you gets so lonely for - I
don't know what exactly, but it's something that you don't mind so much not
having at other times.
~Kate L. Bosher