TheBanyanTree: Tortoise

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 13:32:21 PDT 2006

We saved him from a certain death on the highway. I picked him up (or her)
put him (or her) in the back of the pickup, and took him (or her) home.

Now he wanders at will our ten acres.  I understand they do not swim in water
like regular turtles. He (or she) lives in the brush, coming out at night (or
during the day) to graze the new-sprouted grass.  However, OUR tortoise has
learned he (or she) can maybe steal a bite or two from Jenny, our dog.

Jenny used to leave a few bits of her breakfast in the grass, then lay and
wait for the tortoise to come along, thinking .. yum yum.  But, the shell was
too hard to bite, and the tortoise bit back, and it was just too danged much
trouble in the heat to harass the tortoise. So, Jenny lays and waits, then
watches as the tortoise comes out of the brush and nibbles, slowly, at the leftover
dog food.

It is a Gopher Tortoise, and endangered species, we learned.  It is about the
size of a sandwich plate, and has a face like a 100 year old person, and a
map pattern on its shell.

Some G.T. have a respritory illness. In land about to be developed, they
gather a few and have them tested for the illness. If they have it, they can be
plowed  under. Otherwise, they must be moved to another location. Pretty brutal
for those poor things harboring the illness, say?

God forbid I should cough.  They might plow me under.

NancyLee