TheBanyanTree: forgiving August

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Aug 15 12:23:40 PDT 2006

I have one and only one very large sunflower this year.  It looms five
feet over  my 5'4" head.  Chipmunks, apparently, ate all the other
seeds I planted. (Deer polished off the lillies and peppers, and
raccoons ate most of the tomatoes.) This one flower survived due to
being in the midst of some tough perennials nothing chose to chew
through. Despite it's amazing height, I found that the record height
for a sunflower is 25 feet, so mine is a good fifteen feet shy of the
record. Still, for the kind of neglect my flowers sometimes suffer,
it's a pretty good sunflower.

Once again I have hit the point in the year when my gardens look all
but abandoned. The heat and humidity and bugs were simply unbearable
this year, as they are most years in late July and August in Indiana.
It is every year at this time that I ask myself why on earth I continue
to plant as many things as I do. And then it's another fall, another
winter, another spring, and I find myself, once again, standing in a
patch of fading zinnias and drooping sunflowers and three feet tall
weeds in the withering heat of late summer.

Because as much as I hate the heat and bugs of August, as much as the
burnt leaves and spent flower heads remind me of the inevitability of a
cold, gray, winter, there are still glorious moments I experience in my
garden. There are spring herbs and tender perennials that amaze me with
the first green of the year. And early summer mornings of deliciously
damp grass and blooms that are so brilliant they take my breath away.
There are the days I can walk out my back door and pick enough herbs
and vegetables to make a good pasta sauce.  And once again, the
following spring, August is forgiven.

Julie