TheBanyanTree: Listening to the Stone - kinda long

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Tue Apr 18 07:58:06 PDT 2006

Listening to the Stone

Last night I finally started the process of making a couple
sacred pipes once again.  I have been a member of the  Keepers
of the Sacred Tradition of Pipemakers for some time now but
have not made a pipe for over a year.  I have made maybe 10
to 12 sacred pipes, but had put my tools aside for some reason.
I have had a two pound block of pipestone sitting there for
over a year, waiting. Waiting for what I didn't know.  I also
have several good sumac wood branches (regular sumac, not
the poisonous variety) to use for stems.

Over the last 6 months I have been trying to figure out how to
cut the stone up, to make the sacred pipes it held.  I wanted to
make 3 pipes out of it.  There was enough stone for 3 but for
some reason that just didn't seem right.  The little block of
catlinite (pipestone) kept telling me it was 2 pipes.  I know
better than to argue with the stone after making several pipes
now.  I argue anyhow.  Maybe that was why I hadn't worked
on this block of stone for a while.  We were not in agreement.
My "cheap" side wanted to make as many as possible.  My
more aware side said listen to the stone.

I may have been waiting for myself to settle down enough to
listen to the stone again.  My mind has been . . . distracted.
My mom has been in and out of nursing homes and hospitals,
and my business has been . . . doing poorly, and I have been
exploring myself.  Now my mom is better than she has been in
months (maybe years) and my business is showing signs of
recovery.  Maybe I had to go through that bleak time in order
to be alive again.

Last night the time "felt" right to start the long slow process of
turning stone and wood into a sacred pipe.  I gathered my tools
and went out on the side patio.  Ick.  It was hot out there.
Another record high temperature had been set earlier in the
day.  That makes several record high temperatures already this
year.  I'm not a fan of being overly hot.  I decided to sit on my
front step and work on the stone.  It is in the shade there in the
afternoon.  That turned out to be an amusing decision for
several reasons.

I sat holding the stone, listening to it one more time before
starting to work on it.  I gathered my white sage and smudged
my tools, the stone, and lastly myself.   Sitting there I felt the
texture of the stone, and opened my mind to see what the stone
would tell me.  It is good stone.

I had marked it a while back where I was going to cut it.
Cutting could be done with a rock saw. In fact the whole
process could be speeded up a great deal using nothing but
power tools and pre-formed jigs.  I prefer other methods.  My
only concession is a power drill.  The drill us used to drill
holes where the saw blade has to make 90-degree corners and
to drill the holes for the stem and bowl.  The holes in the block
of stone allow me to make the cuts to free the pipe form.  Two
small side by side holes are drilled per corner.  Then I chisel
out the stone between the two little holes so a hack saw blade
would go through.  Then comes the cutting of the stone with a
hack saw blade.  Slowly the blade slides through the stone,
creating the first rough shape of what will become a sacred
pipe.

As the rough shapes started to break free of the stone, a feeling
of appreciation crept over me.  Appreciation for the history of
these pipes.  They have been called peace pipes for many
years, mainly because when the white men made treaties with
the Native Americans, the pipe was almost always smoked.
They didn't understand that the pipe is smoked when any major
decision or word-bond was to be made.  There is much history
behind these pipes, not only in North America, but in many
parts of the world.  I know I'm but a distant faint echo of those
who have made these pipes before me.

As I sat there holding the two pipe blanks, I felt them start to
stir.  They told me of things I had forgotten as well as things
that I needed to be reminded of.  I sat there, covered in red dust
and sweat, and listened for a while.  Then it was time to drill
again.  I looked at the stem end and the bowl top, seeing where
to make the holes.  Nearly always, I "see" where to start the
bit.  A "pilot" hole is drilled down the length of the stem
toward where the bowl will bottom out.  This is a long hole,
nearly as long as the drill bit. The way I do it, all of the drilling
is done "free hand" as to me that is part of the making of the
pipe.  For this task, I prefer to not use modern technology, but
to ask for guidance from a higher source.  As the drill bit
slowly goes into the stone, I seem to drift into a state of being
the "observer" rather than the one doing the work.  The drill bit
goes in deeper and deeper, until it is up to the jaws of the drill.
In fact, the last half inch the bit had to be just barely held in the
jaws of the drill in order to reach in "far enough".  Is it going
where I wanted?  That is up to the spirit of the stone and the
real maker.  Then the pilot hole is drilled down through where
the bowl will be.  Again, this hole is drilled "free hand."  As
has happened so many times before, the two blind holes meet.
The bottom of the future bowl, and the end of the stem are now
one hole through which the smoke will pass.

I sat there with two pipe forms in my lap.  I felt the stone, the
sharp edges, the crude shape, and the texture of what was to
be.  Red dust was everywhere.  This dust . . . speaks of . . .
change to me.  I sat there saying a prayer of gratitude to All
That Is for using my hands and guiding the drill.  I know I'm
little more than a tool, just as the saw blade, the drill and bit,
and the other tools to yet be used are.  Later a rasp will be used
to begin shaping the block of stone into a rough shape of what
it will be.  The stone will guide the rasp just as much as the
rasp will wear away the stone.  It is a cooperative process.  For
me it is a time to observe and learn.  Then files remove the
rasp marks, then finer files, then sand paper, then steel wool
until the stone is shaped and smooth.  Somewhere along the
line, the bowl will be enlarged to the size and shape it is to be.
The same applies to the stem hole where the wood stem will fit
into the stone bowl.  The wood for the stem will be shaped by
hand tools and fire when it is time to form it.  Each stem is
made for that bowl, and that bowl only.  They fit together, their
shapes conforming to each other.

It may take only a few weeks to finish one pipe, or it may take
several months.  This is not something one rushes through.
One listens to the stone and the wood.  It is a time of learning
as much as a time of making.  It is a time of being in gratitude
for every experience and there are many experiences during
this time.  Feeling the stone change shape and becoming
smooth, feeling the wood do the same, feeling yourself
echoing these changes.

While I was working on this, some neighbors walked past and
stopped to visit.  Some couldn't understand why I would do
this using just hand tools instead of doing it fast with a variety
of power tools.  They said I could do the whole thing in a few
hours with power tools.  I said I needed to feel the changes.
Some understood, some didn't.   One person was walking past
and stood in the street watching a bit.  I could "see" he had
Native American heritage.  He looked younger than me, but
not by much I would guess.  He finally came up and sat on the
grass watching, not saying anything.  I hadn't seen him before.
When I said hello he said was visiting a friend that lives in the
condo complex where I live, and needed to take a walk.  Then
he asked me how long I had been making sacred pipes.  When
I told him several years, he asked who taught me.  I told him I
just "knew" how to do it at some point.  He nodded his head
and sat there holding one of the stone pipe blanks.  He asked
me what nation I was part of, and smiled when I told him, "I
am of no nation.  I am not of any direction, I am not red, white,
yellow or black."  This is my standard answer now when I talk
to many people about these things. These colors the colors
often associated with the four directions and also happen to
match the 4 races of humankind.  He looked into my eyes and
said, "You have much wisdom.  I am the son of the son of a
leader of my people, but I now am nothing.  It is good to see
that some ways continue on.  It is good to see that others, even
those who say they are without blood (meaning Native
American heritage) know the old ways."  There was a sadness
in his eyes, and at the same time there was something else,
something I couldn't place.  He rubbed some of the red dust
from all around me between his fingers and smiled.  He
reached out and marked my face with the dust, and said, "You
have blood, or you wouldn't know these things."  With that he
stood up, and walked off.  I don't know if I will see him again
or not, but I hope he comes by as I sit and shape the stone and
wood, and listen.

As I sit here, I can't help but wonder, was he really there, or
was he something from another place, another time.  All I
know is that I was shaped and changed as much as the stone.

Russ Doden
Crystal Heart
April 2006