TheBanyanTree: Unfinished business (the 100km walk)

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Mon Apr 17 04:49:15 PDT 2006

We did it. We completed the 2006 Oxfam Melbourne Trailwalker, and we
survived it. We laughed, we cried, we mused on the great questions of
life. Well, we didn’t cry, and I don’t know whether anyone mused on any
great issues other than the next milestone, but we had a good time and
achieved something terrific. One of the best aspects of the walk was the
people around us and with us. Our support crew, Clare and John, did a
FANTASTIC job keeping us fed, sheltered, clothed, and comforted. We were
always 100% sure that they would be there for us and we were never
disappointed.

The hardest thing about the walk was that the last stage, Donna Buang,
was closed for the second time on Saturday, moving the ‘end’ of the walk
to Checkpoint 7 – 88.5 kilometres. So we didn’t get the opportunity to
walk the full 100 km. It broke our hearts, I have to tell you.
Prior to knowing this, I was dreading Mt Donna Buang. As soon as they
told us (at Checkpoint 6) that we couldn’t do it, I nearly cried. After
coming all that way, after all that training and after all those
blisters!!!! Funny what lack of sleep and sore feet will do to you.

The long and short of it is that the weekend was very, very wet and
Oxfam made a decision based on the advice of the Police, the State
Emergency Services, and the local Ambulance service. But let me start
from the beginning, a very good place to start.

We set off in the third group on Friday morning at 10am (the other
groups left at 7am and 8:30am). It was drizzling but we were pumped, and
it wasn’t just the coffee. Off we went, with about 170 other teams
(though only 481 teams started, not 500, so it might have been fewer).
For the first few kilometres the track was pretty congested and there
was a bit of overtaking. This gave us the opportunity to check out the
other teams. The toilets along the way were well patronised, probably a
direct result of the well patronised coffee wagon at the start. One
member of our team was getting stomach cramps and wasn’t sure he would
make the (short) distance to the next pit stop, so he employed some
creative visualisation (coin between the buttocks).

By the time we were into the second half of the walk, we had learnt not
to judge any teams by appearances. It was quite apparent that all comers
can do this walk if they train properly, walk within their limits, and
don’t underestimate what they have ahead of them. I was very amused to
be passed by a fresh-looking group of 50-plus ladies on Saturday
morning, as we trudged down the Warburton trail. One of them was coyly
revealing her age by saying ‘my next birthday will end in “7”’. They
chirpily greeted us as they strode past, looking very limber. We were
hurting at that stage, which amplified the contrast and our respect for
their efforts.

Then there was the ‘Pinks’, a team of two young men and two young women
dressed in pink t-shirts and pink towelling hats. They were animatedly
discussing shopping at Dimmeys (did you know Dimmeys sells kinky nurses’
outfits? Get in quick) and were carrying very little (compared to our
packs full of wet weather gear, copious first aid supplies, etc) so they
were, we thought, not much of a chance. However, they were obviously
well prepared and had a good support crew, because we saw them all along
the path well into Saturday.

And of course there was ‘Star bum’, a young woman with an interesting
pair of tracksuit pants who obviously had excellent aerobic capacity
because she was talking non-stop whenever we saw her. The only time she
didn’t talk was up the 1000 steps in Ferntree Gully. I overheard her
laughing to a team-mate that she was hopelessly disorganised, having not
gotten around to organising a headlamp for the night-walking component.
‘You’d think I’d have a clue having done this before’, she was saying,
or something along those lines. Being young, fit and having a positive
attitude is definitely an advantage!

Friday night – the rain started. We were in Sassafras at about 8pm, when
it started showering. By the time we got to Olinda it was very wet and
from then on it didn’t stop. The whole stage from Olinda to Mt Evelyn it
poured, and it was miserable. Slippery, muddy paths; wet clothes; poor
visibility as the moon was covered by clouds. Yes, it was crap, no doubt
about it. Thank god we had walking poles (the boys used ski stocks, I
had telescoping walking poles), which helped us maintain stability on
the paths which were fast turning into small creeks.

Oxfam closed the Donna Buang section at about 11pm on Friday night, but
there would have been people still walking during the downpour. The
temperatures were dropping and they were worried about injuries and
hypothermia. This meant that they had to stop walkers at the last three
checkpoints, to stop walkers building up at the last one. We had always
planned to stop and sleep at Mt Evelyn, but some teams weren’t happy
about not being able to go on and threw in the towel (as they were
aiming to finish the walk within a target time). Perhaps not quite in
line with the spirit of the event…

Donna Buang was opened again early Saturday morning and we were informed
that it was going to be closed again for those who had not passed
checkpoint 7 by 5pm. This stressed me out a bit, and I thought about
dropping out a checkpoint early to allow the boys to go on ahead, as I
am the slowest walker in the group. But they wouldn't have it. So we put
on a bit of pace, even though we were pretty sure we’d make that final
checkpoint with time to spare. However, the conditions must have
deteriorated again and the Donna Buang stretch was closed to anyone who
hadn’t reached Checkpoint 7 by 12:30pm, which we discovered at
Checkpoint 6 (Woori Yallock). We were despondent as we munched on our
excellent bacon and egg sandwiches at the next road crossing, where
Clare and John were waiting for us.

As it turned out, we reached Checkpoint 7 (the new finish line) at
3:30pm. Despite the feeling of it being an anti-climax, we did feel that
we did very well, and boy did we enjoy those beers!

Advice for anyone considering doing the Oxfam? Do it! But train properly
(in a range of weather if possible) so you know what you are in for,
because it IS a hard walk. The dead skin is still dropping off my feet a
week later.

Walk the actual trail and do some long distance– at least one of 40 or
so kilometres. Some things just don’t start happening until you’ve
walked a long distance – blisters, knees, hamstrings, sore feet, mental
exhaustion. Understanding the range of surfaces and conditions you’ll be
walking will help too. And this will help you determine what you need to
carry – bandages, analgesics, insect repellent (especially for the
leeches on Mt Donna Buang!), sunscreen, wet weather gear, music to amuse
yourself when you don’t feel like talking, walking poles when you’re
getting tired (the lightweight telescoping ones are great).

Good training will also make you realise that you CAN do it, and enjoy
it. Insufficient training will result in the experience being much less
satisfactory, possibly hellish.

And yes – we are planning a reprise next year – we have to get to the
end! Phil and AJ did the Donna Buang stretch Easter weekend, just to say
they did the whole thing...apparently the track was fine. Hmm. Anyway,
maybe we'll see you on the trail next year…

P.S. We have raised about $3000 and the amount of support we got
(financial and moral) was very much appreciated.