TheBanyanTree: Welding

Spoonoid at cs.com Spoonoid at cs.com
Sun Apr 2 05:01:38 PDT 2006

Spoonoids:

Our local community college offers classes that anybody can sign-up for. They
call it "continuing education," to distinguish it from the college courses
where real students are seeking an accredited degree. When I got their catalog
in the mail after the holidays, I looked through it to see if anything looked
interesting.

Welding. Now there's a subject that conjures up images of manly pursuits.
Construction, heavy machinery, bridge building, high steel fabrication. I think I
need to take this course.

I asked The Princess what she thought. "Oh, yes, do it," she said. "You could
make me some yard art for the garden. Metal sculpture for the back yard. A
gazebo. Fancy iron filigree around the house gables."

I was thinking more along the lines of a bird sculpture for the patio, like
an egret or a flamingo. "Yes, yes, yes. I want one."

So I took the course. We learned how to cut metal with an oxy-acetylene
cutting torch. We joined steel plate together with stick welding, MIG, and TIG,
with the options of learning how to do butt joints, lap joints, and T joints in
the flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions. We were given
instruction in how to operate a metal shear that can slice through three-quarter-inch
thick steel plate, if you can figure out how to lift the stuff onto the machine.
We used a metal cutting band saw, and three types of grinding wheels. If you
like loud noise along with a great plume of sparks, try carbon-arc gouging.
And we sliced through half-inch thick steel like it was butter with a plasma arc
torch. During every class we made sparks fly through the air, and flung
red-hot metal globules down the concrete floor. Arrrgh!

Welding as a profession is hard work. It's hot, dirty, noisy, sweaty,
hazardous labor. If you want to take it up as a career, you better be young, strong,
tough and resilient, and not close to retirement age. But wherever you are,
and whatever your age, I would definitely recommend taking the welding class at
your local community college.

Oh, yes. You can see my effort on metal bird sculpture at:

ourworld.cs.com/spoonoid/bird.html

Later, John.