TheBanyanTree: The Underbelly

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 19:25:19 PDT 2005

I was out running errands to day and came upon a U-Haul truck n a shopping
mall parking lot. It was sitting outside a popular restaurant, Durangos, and
there were three young men with the truck, stacking groceries and other goods
into the truck. A very crude, marker-printed sign was taped to the truck saying,
"Sponsored by Durangos. Heading for New  Orleans.  Please contribute." There
followed a list of food and household goods they were wanting to fill the truck.

The spokesman with the truck said he had lost much in last year's hurricane,
and people helped  him get back on his feet. Driving the U-Haul of food and
goods to Katrina's victims was going to be his way of "paying back."

Naturally, I bought a cartload for him to add  to his load.

We expect the government to do it all, or the police or National Guard or Red
Cross. They are wonderful, but this  particular disaster is just too big.
Every bit we can do is still not enough.

I applaud that young man and his  quest, and all those others  who  jump
right in and DO something.