TheBanyanTree: The Underbelly

Glo~ee burns.gloria at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:39:33 PDT 2005

You are NOT alone with your thoughts!  Everybody I have talked to, and
I mean everybody, shares your thoughts.  Shoot, I even shared your
thought about packing up and heading down there to do something,
anything!  I've lost my patience with bureaucracy.  I'm writing to let
you know that you can resume news watching today.  You'll hear about
the help that's there and the mass of help that's on the way.  Canada
has ships on the way.  You'll see semi loads of food/water/etc. headed
South; driven by volunteers that don't belong to any formal
organization.  Supplies donated by people like us.  Oh, maybe you
won't see that on the news, but we should.  It's happening.  :-)

I'll add to your thoughts with these.  Every single day there are
Americans that will die due to lack of food, water or health care.  I
have never understood why we tolerate that.  We are numb as a people.
95% of the world's wealth is held by 5% of the people.  The underbelly
will continue to grow. To say the least, it's maddening to people like
me.  All we need is someone to TELL us what to do.  We need a
country-wide plan to change the status quo.  That someone should be
the President and those that work with him.  I'd rather they tell me
what to do than continue to ignore the problem.  Actually we need a
world-wide plan... dream big!

In light of my thoughts, I'm trying to see the news about the
underbelly in the South as a positive thing.  Wake the sleeping
Americans!  Let them see how others live day to day.  Certainly all
can't be foolish enough to think people only live under these
conditions after a catastrophe?  Maybe they'll see the everyday
non-catastrophe news for what it is.

Another positive about reporting the horrible situation is that we are
all learning.  We're learning that should a catastrophe happen
anywhere in America and if we happen to be there; remember New Orleans
and hang on to the belief that help is on its way.  Might take several
days, but someone will come.  Ya never know, it might help us in the
future.

Surely those that are in high places of control are also learning much
about our resources, or lack thereof.  It won't go unnoticed.  Whether
they can fix it or not, remains to be seen.  Whether they look ahead
and update the infrastructure that warrants their attention also
remains to be seen.  "Costs too much" be damned!

It's a learning experience for all.  Don't give up; don't stop
thinking about.  Work for change.  "If you want to change the world,
you need to change the way you see it."  Can't remember where I
learned that.  Doesn't matter I guess.  I'm just glad that I have
remembered it at all.

Dreamer...always dreamin' of a kinder, gentler world for ALL