TheBanyanTree: Telepathy

Mark Funk Mark at arboretum.umn.edu
Thu Sep 29 10:21:15 PDT 2005

I suspect there are others of you who have had long term relationships
and feel like you know what the other person will say before they say
it.  In my case, my wife and I have been married for over 35 years and
we often complete each other's sentences.  Little did I suspect that she
could actually read my mind.

Here is how I discovered this surprising fact.  I was sick with flu
like symptoms for a couple of days and playing my part as the suffering
invalid, feeling sorry for myself.  My wife, doubtless knowing that I
would be no help at all, started preparations for supper.  I secretly
hoped she would prepare some "comfort food."

I heard her get out a pan and start pealing some potatoes.  As she did,
my mind flashed back to a comfort food my mother used to make: boiled
potatoes smothered in great northern beans.  We had it fairly often when
I was a child.  I had prepared it occasionally during our many years of
marriage but it wasn't something we had often, and, in fact, its been a
year or more since we've had it.  I didn't have any reason to believe
she would think it was something I would like to ease my "suffering."

Still, I said nothing as I didn't want my wife to accuse me of whining.
 Imagine my surprise when my wife handed me a plate with boiled potatoes
smothered in great northern beans.  Obviously, she read my mind!