TheBanyanTree: Seasonal

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 25 08:00:43 PDT 2005

September is almost over but I barely remember its beginning.  I'm
looking forward to October; I feel fall in the air.  Leaves not just
falling but leaping and spinning to the ground in a flurry of bright
colors soon to go bland.  October has long been my favorite month when,
in the midst of what is an end, I feel a beginning, an affirming
awareness of the circle of life in all of its glory.  This is the real
birth of life which, for me, could not happen without first enduring its
end.

With summer gone, I am almost upon my October.  The leaves which once
clung so solidly to my branches are changing colors and loosening their
grip.  They surely will fall in this personal autumn.  The cycle is yet
in its infancy; the colors are not yet imbued with their full, rich
hues.  The fires of reds and golds, so breathtaking, won't come without
cost.   Soon a carpet of beauty will bury the browning lawns.  The
blazing colors will fade and what was once so spectacular to look upon
will also be browned, litter, and in need of collection.  Only winter
can prepare the grounds for the vigorous energy needed for rebuilding
and rebirth.  Winter will not come without the passion of autumn.  The
circle isn't complete until you are walking toward what you once left
behind.

The emergence of green, tender shoots lifting from hibernation can only
be achieved when first the old is shed and a time of cold, barren
stillness is endured.  Nature needs this cycle and we, with our brains
and thoughts and minds of steel, are no different even as we try and
convince ourselves that we can avoid it.  I can't avoid it; it is
stronger than I am.  The pull of the bright burning colors hold me in a
hypnotic gaze and the cooling winds promise aid.  Not only can I not
avoid it, I don't want to.  I have to shed.  I know there is bound to be
rending pain and a time of browning and a need for collection and a time
of barren stillness.  I know this.  But I can also feel what waits on
the other side.  I may not know what it will all look like but I know
the bulb is there.  Buried in the throes of autumn, it is patient.  It
is enduring.  Through bitter frosts it will wait for the day a thin ray
of warmth reaches in and calls to the innate ability to push through
cold earth and show green promise.  Fragile, tender, but not without a
strength borne of purpose.  It will wait.  As will I.

Maria