TheBanyanTree: The End of Summer

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 05:43:19 PDT 2005

Ray and I are all stuffed up and it’s not because of some kind of cold, but
I think it’s because there is some dust or stuff flying around that we’re
not used to, and our noses are all plugged and my sinuses are draining like
crazy.  I bet it’s the end of summer dust that’s causing our heads to feel
twice as big as they really are.

This time of year is weird in Minnesota.  It’s still warm and nice enough
some days to wear shorts, but our daylight is slipping away and giving into
darkness.  The trees are beginning to shed their leaves and here and there
we’ll see a shot of blazing red flaming out from the surrounding green
trees.

Yellow jackets or hornets are really off track now.  They buzz around women
who are wearing perfume, circle ominously around cans of soda, and will
sting even if not provoked.  And a sting feel like an electric current
shooting through your body.

Our flowers are blooming their hearts out.  We have huge groups of flowers
all over our garden.  I think it’s because we had the right mix of heat and
rain this year.  It’s been a good summer, that’s for sure.

We took the boys to the shores of the Mississippi last Sunday when it 90
degrees.  Susan and I sat baking in the last of the summer sun while the
boys threw rocks in the river.  We all went to our house afterwards and
grilled burgers.  The boys rode their bikes and looked for their baseball
gloves, just like they were trying to find any kind of way to hang onto
summer.  And when it got dark, we shot off leftovers from our 4th of July
fireworks.  We found a rocket that zoomed high up into the air and released
the prettiest of sparkles against the darkening sky.

Ray and I went to our last Twins game of the summer yesterday.  The Twins
are out of contention for any kind of post-season race, but hey, the Cy
Young winner from last year, Johan Santana was pitching, and it was the
White Sox, and what’s summer without baseball?  Santana struck out 13
batters and saver Joe Nathan came in with bases loaded in the ninth, no
outs, and struck out the side.  How about that?

Now it’s time to think about going to the apple orchard, raking leaves, and
hopefully, selling this darn house.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.  ~Mark Twain