TheBanyanTree: A smoothie saga...

bluenosr at ns.sympatico.ca bluenosr at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 4 20:29:24 PDT 2005

I made my first smoothie tonight.

No, I lie.  I made my second one tonight, but actually made my first
one LAST night.  I was only able to have a little taste.  But it was
some good, B'y! :)

See, I have this slightly elderly blender.  The only sign of it's age

is the 3-prang-prong-less cord that is approaching 'crisp'.  Got the
picture?  Been using it for years.

The thing I most ~repeatedly~ used it for was soft bread crumbs,
which I prefer over dried ones.  At first, after a few failures, I
managed to get the knack.  The lid of my blender has the removable
center knob, which I remove...the kind that allows you to add things
without stopping the action or spraying juice or bits all over
yourself and the kitchen.  I take bread slices and rip them up in 5
or 6 pieces or more, and a bit more to the crust areas.  I do 2
slices worth first and put them in the blender with the main cover
off.  Then, I tear up all the slices I plan to do and (usually) put
them in a bread bag or a large bowl...just to keep the mess down.

Cover on, minus center bit, and I use the 'Insta-blend'(on my model)
button to blend in short bursts.  "Pulse" maybe on yours.  Then, I'll

add about 3 or 4 slices worth more bread pieces through the hole, 2
or 3 pieces at a time while I hold it ON.  Then I empty out crumbs
into a container or bag. And begin again.

Don't keep the blender on a second longer than it takes to get crumbs

and don't try and fill it up, or they will begin to moosh together!
That's why I do only a few slices at a time before emptying the
container.  And you really need non-fresh bread!  It will be a bit
slow at first, but you CAN get a nice flow going and doesn't take
that long.

I use the crumbs for breaded chops, etc., and for stuffing for
turkey.  And I usually make these crumbs when I'm not busy in the
kitchen, and I bag them, and freeze them.  Later, I can grab - or
break off - a fist full or two when needed.  They freeze and thaw
really well.

Back to my smoothie.  Not using my blender very often now, I don't
like to tighten up the bottom part because of the rubber ring.  So, I

leave it just sitting in its place, not screwed in.  Know where I'm
going with this?

Well, I put the blender on my counter, took the cover off, and added

some chopped up banana and peach, orange juice, touch of lime, touch
of honey, a few chunks of ice cubes, and....I think that's all.
Meant to add plain yogurt, but forgot I had some.  I turned it on and

it blended well.  Was looking really good!

I grabbed my glass in my left hand, picked up the glass blender jar,
and poured.  But I didn't get much in my glass, as it was pouring all

over the blender base and counter!  HOW'd THAT HAPPEN??  I instantly
KNEW that I hadn't screwed on the base!!!  That a mess!  But it
tasted great...what little I managed to rescue!

I decided it was time for a new one.  Besides it's age, I ~know~ some

of the juice got on or in the motor.   So, I've found one I think
will suit me at a good price at Home Hardware...the place I can walk
to...and will go take a look at it on Tuesday or so.

The smoothie I made tonight doesn't have enough ice.  That's because
I had to pound an ice cube in a bag to crush it, and I was talking on

the phone at that time.  Don't ask :)  However, I am not discouraged.

I don't know WHY I've never thought of making my own.  And I can't
claim a Senior Moment!  I foresee a lot of tasty nutrients in the old

bod in the future!

Cj