TheBanyanTree: What were they thinking?

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 09:42:47 PDT 2005

Back in my long-ago nights on the make, way before Actor's
Studio, one of my favorite ice-breakers was "What's your
favorite word?"  I remember the first time I tried this,
around sunset in a cozy bar on Hwy 101 along a stretch of
southern California beach.  The very first response from a
younger blond clone was "Shit."

When I once let that word out as a kid in front of grandma
Etta, she came back with "You had something in your mouth I
wouldn't have in my hand."  I remember assessing the clone's
respone as *time to move on*, and I did, after laughing and
carefully sharing Etta's pearl.

Later in the same bar I approached a jazzy dressed older
woman lit with sunrise energy.  I requested her favorite
word and her offering still remains one of my favorites:
"bodacious."  That word became a permanent part of me even
though it was all that became of us.

I wonder if one's favorite word varies much with who asks..
It's soo tempting to take a chance and propose "I'll tell
you mine if you'll tell me yours."  Mine is "discover."

Tom