TheBanyanTree: Golds

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Oct 30 05:39:44 PST 2005

Gaining an hour of sleep doesn’t work for me very well.  I fell asleep on
the couch last night and slept until 10 pm.  Then I went to bed and kept
waking up and looking at the clock and then subtracting that hour in my head
and going back to sleep.  I finally gave up at 5 am standard time and got
up.

I waited for the sunrise, but there was no dawn this morning.  It’s cloudy,
but very warm, 51 degrees on my thermometer, and humid.  Rain is supposed to
be moving in, which I think we need.  It’s quite dry.

As the sky lightened up, I noticed the deer must have been through and
sucked all the seeds out of the bird feeders.  But the little birds were
coming and grabbing leftover seeds from the ground.  They’re taking baths in
the bird bath.  The birds are having a good time with this unexpected warm
weather.

Everything is gold this morning in this strange dark dawn.  I keep thinking
of how my backyard world will look next month after all the leaves have
fallen.  The golden light will switch to browns by then and the rich warm
light I see now will be stark and barren.

It’s Halloween tomorrow, one of my favorite celebrations.  The boys will
come over to trick or treat.  I think the older one is going to be Batman
and the younger one wanted to be a tree or a door or a house.  I think once
he saw the costumes at the store, he’ll probably change his mind, and be
something a little more “normal.”

I’ll go back to work tomorrow and that’s where I’ll see the real monsters.
I believe we can wear costumes if we want and we’re going to have a potluck.
They were short on desserts, so I bought some Halloween cookies.  I have a
couple of long sleeved T-shirts from Old Navy, one with a skeleton and one
with a pumpkin, so I’ll wear one of them with my Halloween earrings.

Halloween, for me, is the door which opens up the winter time festivals.  It
’s an exhausting and busy time, but it’s a good time, as the daylight
lessens, it’s a good feeling to be in my cozy, but unsold, dog-less house,
warm and snug with my family.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org