TheBanyanTree: Wilma and Wilma and Wilma and Wilma

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 08:42:08 PDT 2005

Hurricane number 22. They called it Wilma, a record breaker, since they ran
out of names for 2005. After previous devastation, I take heed and watch the
progress of any hurricane.

I was out rounding up the lawn furniture, decoration, flags, and piling
everything in the barn. I was rounding up the horses and putting them in their
stalls. I gave the goats extra hay, brought the dogs in the house and secured them
in their crates, I checked the pigs to make sure they and water and food .
.wait . . .

The sow, all 250 pounds of her, was out in the mud, usual for her, except she
looked odd. She seemed listless and didn't run to the fence to see if I had
brought her something to eat. She was always ready to eat. I teased her with an
apple, and she only looked at it. Then, she grunted, and pooped out a piglet.
There was one moment of utter stun, then I climbed the fence to pick the
piglet out of the mud.

No time for niceties, I wipe the muck off the limp piglet with my shirttail,
shook it, then . worrying beyond the yuck, gave a  mouth-to-snout breath.  The
pig squealed and thrashed. But, that wasn't the end.

The end came eight pigs later. Dumb sow didn't know anything about
motherhood, so CiCi and I served as slaves/midwives,. warming, cleaning,  spanking all
the piglets to vigorous life.  There were eight, but no matter the effort we
made, two could not be revived.

Still, as Wilma swept in with her raging winds and horizontal rains, we
tended mother and her six wiggling piglets.  Secure in their  nest of hay (and it
takes a lot of hay to make a nest for a 250 pound sow and her  babies) CiCi and
I then finished the job of securing all our other things from the storm.

We said we'd never name pigs, since we didn't want to become attached to
something we might later barbecue.  Yet, we now have the sow, we call Pinkie, and
the Male, we call Blackie  cause he's . .black.  and Wilma1, Wilma2, Wilma3, W
ilma4, and Wilbur and Gilbert.

And, no, we got really lucky. Wilma missed us, brushing by only with some
wind and  six or  eight inches of rain. .and six piglets.

NancyLee