TheBanyanTree: Tales of a Woodcat - Aroona

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Oct 23 00:18:34 PDT 2005

Spirits of ‘Aroona’

‘Aroona’ is a grazing property of some 500 acres in an area of low
rainfall within the Snowy River region of New South Wales. Settled in
the mid 19th century, ‘Aroona’ has ever been conventionally farmed and
stocked with cattle or sheep according to the wishes of its various
owners and its soils have suffered much the same decline in nutrition
and quality as is evident in other dry, arid parts of Australia. In
April 2003 the owner, Jay, called on me for remediation advice. On my
first visit it transpired that a benevolent spirit dwelt within the
oldest part of the homestead which is said to date from 1860. The rooms
there were very cold when I entered. Using a simple shamanic-style
ceremony I released the spirit from bondage and gave it the option of
going or staying; it chose the former.  Within minutes the temperature
had risen significantly.

I next visited the farm to begin the remedial process. During the work,
I told the owner that I had received an impulse to perform a full Reiki
treatment in the room where the spirit had dwelt. In return I was
advised that Jay missed having the presence around.

In my motel room that night I learned the spirit’s name was Enid . . .
%%%%%%%%%%%

Enid’s Tale

In those days there were no fences - all the land was free and fertile
and the flocks and herds grazed without hindrance. There was abundant
rainfall and sunshine and the rivers and creeks ran clear. The people
did not know how lucky they were, that within little more than half a
century the flocks and herds and human greed would have grown so much
the land and rivers would be dying.

Often Enid would stand at the window of her mother's room, looking out
across open landscape to the ridge where the land began to fall away to
the creek below. A hundred metres out from the window there was a rough
track winding up from the ford which lay to the east. The track was
never easy, always deeply rutted by the iron-shod wheels of drays hauled
by teams of straining bullocks which travelled the hundreds of
kilometres from the south coast, possibly even to the Kiandra goldfields
high in the Snowy Mountains - carrying supplies up country and wool and
fleece back to the coast for shipment to Sydney Town and the world.

All this she had learned at her mother's knee, year in, year out, not as
a story but as snippets here and there. She was not sure, never sure, of
where her father was, or even if she had a father, but it was not a
subject she could discuss.

At that time Enid was as old as the property which was sixteen, almost
seventeen years, and the year was 187_. She was slim and pretty as her
mother had been at that age, or so she was told by the boys at the
dances in the hotel at the village not far away eastwards who always
vied for her attention. Her special friend, however, was Mike who lived
on a selection not far from the escarpment of Brown Mountain in the
Great Dividing Range. He rode his horse over to visit her two or three
times a month and they would go riding across country, happy in each
other's company. There are few secrets in small communities, of course,
and so it was probably common knowledge what was happening to them.

Late afternoon it was when she last saw him in the flesh. It was a
Thursday; he had ridden into the yard in the morning in great
excitement, full of a tale of a coming battle that afternoon between
'the law' and a band of bushrangers camped on the far bank of the creek
over the ridge. How he knew of it as far away as the mountain he didn't
say. Nor did she try to stop him from joining in for how could she? He
would just have laughed and gone anyway.

They had brought him back to the homestead about three in the afternoon,
up the track from the ford, slung face down across a horse. With
difficulty they carried him across the verandah, through the front door
and into her mother's room and laid him down on the bed which ran
parallel with but a little way away from the only wall with a window in
it. She and her mother cleaned him up as best they could though that
wasn't much. Then they knelt on each side of the bed, Enid with her back
to the wall, and just looked at Mike in despair.

For his left thigh was shattered by a musket ball and a terrible slash
ran across his face. Though his body was twitching constantly she
thought him to be unconscious for he was very quiet except for the
occasional groan but suddenly he said very clearly "I love you Enid,
hold me close!" Smiling tremulously, her hands went out as if willed by
another, the right to his head, the left to that awful leg.

How long she stayed like that, Enid, crying now as she felt his
lifeblood, warmth and energy seeping away, had no idea - until there was
nothing left and she wailed, staggered to her feet and rushed from the room.

(<Before you released me> Enid continued <when I stood at the window to
look out, as I did most of these long years to see whether Mike was
coming, I would see a tree directly ahead which branches out from just
above ground level; ten metres onwards there is a small gate shrouded by
a hedge. I know that a little distance further on there is a bigger gate
leading to the track which still winds up from the ford but now carries
vehicles very different from the cumbersome drays. There are fences
everywhere and many, many more buildings than when Mike and I rode the
paddocks in harmony. Even the homestead itself has doubled in size.

<Harmony is something I have lacked in all my long years since that
terrible day. When I awoke from the confusion which befell me after my
mother dosed me with sedatives to quieten me down, I found weeks and
weeks had passed. Whenever I mentioned Michael's name there were dark
looks and people spoke in hushed voices or changed the subject quickly.
Thus I never knew whether he had died that afternoon - though I supposed
he had - or if he had, where they had buried him.

<So I stayed here in confusion, afraid to leave in case he returned
while I was gone. I have seen many alterations while waiting for him to
return, seen the land wither and die much as he did, seen people come
and go, some caring of the land's needs but most not.

<There has been a great change, though, since he came back . . .>

to be continued .................

woodcat