TheBanyanTree: Sting

Spoonoid at cs.com Spoonoid at cs.com
Wed Oct 19 04:06:03 PDT 2005

Spoonoids:

Last weekend, while peacefully mowing the grass in my backyard, I was
attacked by a swarm of angry wasps. What first brought this situation to my attention
was a sharp pain on my left wrist as one of their team stung me, while the
rest of his hive-mates did their best to drive me away from the nest. I can't
imagine why they were so upset. I didn't mean to disturb them. All I did was
push the lawn mower over their hideyhole. Maybe it was the roaring noise of the
machine operating at full throttle, or perhaps the great wind generated by the
whirling blade.
Any observer watching from a safe distance would have seen the comedy routine
of a frantic gardener waving his arms, running away from his lawnmower across
the yard, yelling, cursing, and slapping at the numerous bees crawling all
over his jeans and t-shirt. The victim's wife got into the act, too, with a
hastily retrieved can of bug spray from the garage.
Once the attacking hoard had been dispersed from my personal space, I looked
across the yard to see the lawnmower sitting where I had left it, still
roaring away, over the hornet's nest. Some three dozen, highly-upset yellow jackets
were buzzing around the machine, but they were having no success in driving it
away. Rather than just letting it run out of gas, I got a broom handle,
trotted past the machine and swatted the throttle lever, shutting it off.
This episode discouraged me from any further gardening activity in the yard
for that afternoon, and besides, I needed to visit the store to buy a can of
wasp poison.
That evening I pushed the silent lawnmower away from the hole in the dirt
where the bees made their home, and expended the entire canister of insecticide
into the nest, thus putting an end to the problem.
But is that the end of the story? Is there an ethical dimension to this event
that needs to be considered? Did the human need to destroy the whole colony,
or was there an alternative to allow this small batch of god's creatures to
continue to exist in nature's harmony? Why bother even thinking about it? The
pests moved-in uninvited, and got exterminated.
If you're feeling philosophical, you might look at the situation from a
dispassionate perspective, and decide the whole episode was unnecessary. The bugs
did not need to attack the human. They could have allowed him to cut the grass
unmolested. Their hive might have suffered the loss of a few individuals to
the blades of the lawnmower, but if they had left the human alone, he would have
finished cutting the grass, and would not even know they were there. If they
had not attacked, their community would still exist in peace.
But the hive does not have the intelligence to understand this bigger
picture. So the individual insects attacked the human invader in self-defense, which
is the natural right of any self-respecting creature or community. The human,
being attacked in his own home territory, responded to the threat, also in
self-defense, eliminating the whole hive, feeling there was no reasonable
alternative.
One would like to think he can get along in his complex world environment,
respecting the diversity of his fellow creatures who strive to exist in whatever
niche they can carve out in the ecology.
But life is an unending competition for resources and territory, and some
life-forms make bad decisions. The struggle continues.

Later, John.