TheBanyanTree: Fall Transitions

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:15:55 PDT 2005

It is a glorious fall day in Minnesota.  The leaves are at their peak of color and the sun is shining brightly.  It will be another unseasonably warm fall day.

In other years this would be "Indian Summer."  But technically that title does not apply as we have yet to have a freeze and Indian Summer is defined as summer-like weather following a freeze.

Yet the signs of fall were everywhere as I arrived at the Arboretum this morning.

The first thing I noticed was a large flock of Canadian geese grazing in one of the orchards.  Do geese eat apples?  I don't know.  But whatever they were eating as they grazed, I'm sure they are getting ready for their long trip south.

As I drove down the entrance lane my eyes were filled with the many hues of orange, yellow, and red that filled the trees of all sizes.  Instead of turning into the staff parking lot, I decided to take a quick spin around the nearby grounds so I could see more of the sun drenched color.

In front of our main building I noticed that the large owl topiary, which was part of our "Wild About Birds" summer exhibition, was gone and that it was replaced by freshly tilled ground.  I'm sure there are thousands of tulip bulbs beneath that surface waiting for spring.

When I turned onto "3 Mile Drive" I noticed that the gardening crew was busy removing the annual plants from the entrance garden.  These plants will all be replaced by new and different plants, in a different color scheme, next spring.  I sensed, or perhaps imagined, a certain urgency to their work as the season, and the seasonal crew, will end their work at the end of October.  There are only a couple of weeks left to make preparations for winter.  I'm sure, if not already done, this will include the "tipping of the roses,"  draining of the irrigation system, and putting all the gardening "toys" away.

Although I didn't see them on my quick trip, I know some of the crew is out marking the path for the burial of some phone and network cable between building that will be done next week.  We don't like to disturb the gardens during our busy season, but in Minnesota, impending frost/freeze of the ground always need to be considered in the timing of these projects.

Soon trees and the areas inside our buildings will be decorated for the holidays and the snow shovels and sky trail grooming equipment will be coming out of storage.

It is a time of transition both inside and out.

Reluctantly I headed for the parking lot to start my work day.  Yet I feel lucky to work at such a beautiful place.

Mark