TheBanyanTree: Tales of a Woodcat - Through the Portal

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Mon Oct 17 16:00:50 PDT 2005

Through The Portal

the portal was open and I entered therein and in the distance I saw a
wooden hut bordered on two sides by trees and on another a creek and on
the fourth open pasture

and at the back door of the hut facing the pasture there sat an old
greyhaired man peering upwards at a flock of glossy white yellow-crested
cockatoos wheeling and diving in ecstasy

and in the middle of the pasture there was a stone kangaroo of medium
proportions who had one ear up and the other bent over and by its side
there was a joey, the both staring towards a track which ran down from a
rise at their right past an old sawmill then past them and the hut

and the man walked to the statues, knelt beside the joey and laid his
hand upon its head whilst gazing in the same direction

and I heard an orchestra playing music from Finlandia and began to cry
soundlessly, the tears rolling down my cheeks and through a blur I saw
coming down the track a tall man whose face I could not see for the
brilliance of his golden robes while behind him followed a numberless
company of creatures singing and laughing, some of whom were human and
others not, some who were of Earth and others not, some who were
corporeal and others who were only wisps of silver or platinum or gold

and I marvelled

for I knew them all

and as he who led the way came level with the silent tableau he paused
and turned to look directly at me and indicated with a gesture an empty
space amongst the company but I shook my head slightly and the progress
continued

and as each one of the companions passed the kangaroos he or she turned
and bowed towards them and the man who had now prostrated himself upon
the grassy ground

and my tears fell anew

and as the last of the walkers vanished from sight past the hut I turned
and went through the portal and closed its door and instantly I was in
another place

“You seem a bit disturbed, Roger, are you all right?” I heard the staff
nurse say.

Awkwardly I raised my right hand to wipe my eyes, shifted uncomfortably
around in the emergency ward bed so I could see the monitor, the
heartbeat rate dropping now to a more acceptable level and the display
evening out.

“I’m OK, Wendy, I guess I was dreaming, sorry you’ve been troubled.”

“Don’t be silly, it’s my job.” She smoothed the blanket over my
shoulders as I settled down to try to sleep again despite the cables and
their connections.

**********************

Despite the sophistication of their instruments and their own experience
the doctors could not find any reason for the sudden chest pains that
had assailed me last Tuesday and so I was sent home Wednesday morning
with the knowledge that the heart muscle did not appear to be damaged
and an admonition to 'take things easier'. The next day my
acupuncturist who trained in China and is versed in Chinese medicine and
pranic healing said my heart had suffered a significant shock and gave
me a strict regime to follow - no coffee or sugar or processed foods or
alcohol or chocolate - no driving for a week, drink lots of water,
exercise mildly.

I'm doing all of that - for life is infinitely precious and I still have
healing work to do. And storytelling :)

woodcat