TheBanyanTree: Yellow and Orange

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 06:26:07 PDT 2005

We had our first house showing last evening.  We only had 20 minutes notice,
Ray was getting ready to slip a pizza in the oven, to blow out of the house.
Fortunately, we only had a few things to pick up before we left.  The house
is dazzling now with the new tan carpet and of course, the dog smell is
gone.  Sigh.  We know the house will show well.

Ray and I didn’t go anywhere really.  We just pulled the car down the street
into the circle on the cul de sac.  I saw a doe in front of one of the
houses watching her two fawns having dinner in the next door house’s front
yard garden.  Two neighbor girls were talking to the deer and we watched
from our car.  The deer around here are so used to people, they basically
ignore us.

After the deer finished dinner and left, we turned our car around and parked
behind our neighbor’s big boat and waited for our “company” to come.  Our
wild black cat showed up, meandering by our next door neighbor’s house.  He
seemed surprised to see us sitting in the car on the street.  He came over
to say “hello” before heading into the woods that are behind the houses on
the circle part of the cul de sac.

Ray and I talked about our day while we waited for the showing to end.  Ray
left work early because he didn’t have anything to do.  I left work early,
because I got a GRIP award (Growth, Relationships, Integrity, and Passion),
which is a half day off.  I spent my free half day shopping at Target,
napping, and making up a grocery list.  Ray and I went grocery shopping
early, and like I stated before,  were getting ready for dinner when the
request for a showing came in.

And we waited and waited and waited.  Finally, after 35 minutes, the people
and their agent came out of our house and then spent a few minutes talking
by their cars.  It was a good sign.  Even if they don’t buy our house, we
know by the amount of time they spent in our house, that they must have
liked it and felt comfortable there.  They had two small children with them
and we could tell they had looked over my grandsons’ toys stored neatly away
in our family room.  Our agent was excited about this, because as he stated,
the average showings last about six to seven minutes.

We are going out with our agent this morning and to look at a few of the
“cheapo” houses on my list.   I’m not in any position to make an offer, but
after this first showing, just three days after listing, was quite
encouraging.  When we listed in June, it took two weeks to have our first
showing.  That’s because our house was priced too high.  And then the dog
smell . . .

We had our first frost this week.  I brought in our indoor plants which had
been sunning outside all summer.  I got some small dirty drips on our carpet
and got upset about that.  I hate it when my carpet determines on how my
life will go.

And as the temperature drops, it also rises, and we will be in the 80s
today.  Our windows are open and I can hear the birds singing outside.  Our
leaves are just beginning to turn yellow and orange.  Our neighbors have
been burning brush in their fire pits and that wonderful smell wafts through
the air in the evenings.

Yes, fall is in the air, and I hope with the beginning of fall will be the
beginning at some point for us to begin packing in earnest and moving to our
new home.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org