TheBanyanTree: Making The Grade

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 6 15:13:54 PST 2005

Pam North wrote:

>Meanwhile, this very same Friday evening, is also the very last football
>game of the season, the last time the band seniors would play. It's
>traditionally a big event. At halftime, all the band seniors are introduced,
>photos are taken with their parents, and the band gives a flower to the mom.
>Very fun stuff!!

There a lot of things about being a parent that are fun.  Sure, there
are times when it feels like way too much to bear, such as when that
baby has colic or you race up a hill to an ambulance and a kid who's
down.  They can lie to you and hate you in a moment's notice.  Then you
turn around and they've grown up and memories of bad grades and messy
rooms are but mere memories.  There is always ice cream in the freezer
and it probably has a thick layer of freezer burn.

Somewhere in between is Senior night at the last football game when the
seniors line up with their parents in front of the attending freezing
body of parents and students.  In hodge podge fashion people struggle to
get in alphabetical order with their senior.  Each name is called and
the senior and the parents step forward as the names and accomplisments
are read aloud as well as the future plans of the senior.  A rose is
then presented to the mom and hugs are given and kisses are snuck in.
She struggles to not cry as she tells her child that she is so very
proud of everything he does and has done.

It's a great moment, very tender.  I was priveleged to experience it two
weeks ago.

Maria