TheBanyanTree: Happy Thanksgiving!

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 24 05:28:14 PST 2005

Our black cat came in from the cold this morning.  A cold front raced
through Minnesota last night, but we did not get any snow out of it, just a
rushing cold wind that’s freezing every thing in its wake.  We called and
called for the black cat last night, knowing that the wind was going to blow
his fur off, but he did not come home.

I dreamed about him last night, letting my dreams try to find him and give
him some warmth.  It must have worked, because there he was, crying at the
backdoor this morning, waiting to be let inside.  After eating a big
breakfast, he’s curled up on the bathroom rug, which is where the heat from
our furnace is the warmest.

In a little bit, I’ll gather together my workout clothes and drive to the
club for a quick and dirty workout.  The place will be packed since the club
closes at 1 pm today, plus holidays always bring out the “one day
 exercisers” who think that working out just this one day will prevent them
from gaining weight.  I’ll sit in the steamy sauna and let that hot, moist
seep into pores while the toxins sweat out of my body.

Then I’ll come home and eat some breakfast and begin organizing for the big
dinner.  It amazes me how many TV shows, articles, radio shows, etc. go on
and on about how difficult this meal is to cook.  I don’t think Thanksgiving
dinner is difficult at all, the turkey basically cooks itself, and all the
dishes surrounding the turkey are easy to make.  I think the difficult part
is everything comes out at one time, and I always have to get my thoughts
organized on how to put everything on the table at the same time without any
of the dishes getting cold.

We’ll have a fire roaring in the fireplace.  The TV will have the games on.
What would Thanksgiving be without Dallas and Detroit playing football?  The
aroma from the roasting turkey will fill the house.  The dining room table
will be set in its full glory.  The boys will be loud and boisterous.  After
our tummies are full, we’ll settle down for a game of Monopoly, since all of
us can play it now, and who knows how long into the night we’ll play?  I’ll
put some jazz CDs in the stereo to replace the noise from the TV.  We’ll sip
on hot pumpkin spice coffee and devour our pumpkin pie.

We’ll say thanks for the lives we have.  We’ll think about the people whose
lives have been disrupted from all the natural disasters this year.  We’ll
think about our military personnel scattered across the globe.  We’ll take a
pause from our regular days and enjoy this one special day to feast and to
reflect.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true
measure of our thanksgiving.
~W.T. Purkiser