TheBanyanTree: Change of Meds

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 23 17:02:37 PST 2005

November 23, 2000000005

Dear Brain Chemistries,

	Meyshe has had a hard time this year with depression.  And so
has his mother.  And so has his twin sister.  We've all got our
reasons, and we've all got our meds.  This is beyond, "Just buck up,
Booky!  Things'll be swell!"   The pharmaceuticals are absolutely
necessary.

	Above and beyond that, both my kids are at a difficult age
anyway.  They are 18 now and feeling the archetypal urge to spring
from the nest, but neither is ready.  The anguished cry, "Leave me
alone!" , by Feyna is followed by her collapsing tearfully into my
arms when I embrace her to ease the misery.  Meyshe talks about
having a wife and children, and I don't know whether to kvell or
weep, because I still have to hire someone to stay with him when I
leave the house.  Who knows whether he will ever be independent, able
to sink or swim on his own.  Like the rest of us.  He waits for me
outside the bathroom door even in public places.  I've left him alone
for brief trips to the corner, but nothing more.  I am tethered,
thus, to the front door.

	The pharmacy knows me on a first name basis.  They even ask
me  how the divorce is going, and they pronounce the kids' names
correctly.  When I go there, the hundreds of dollars go flying out of
my checking account, and it is scant consolation that it's all tax
deductible.  We need the meds now.  And we need to eat now.  Mom
needs a pair of slippers and a new jacket.  And we all need our
therapists.  We stay on top of it.

	A few weeks ago, Meyshe started to talk about suicide.  He
was not threatening to jump; he was fixating on the topic:  Do more
and more teenagers kill themselves?  Have you ever known someone who
killed himself?  Do people ever kill themselves because they don't
think they can help the world?

	And then, the awful: Would you be sad if I killed myself?
Yes, I would be sad for the rest of my life, Meyshe.  Grandma would
cry.  Feyna would cry.  I would not stop crying ever.  You are so
necessary to so many people.  Just the fact that you are here on this
planet with your good heart and your wonderful ethics, your love and
care, just that you are here makes this a better world.  You must
promise me that you will talk to me if you feel like hurting
yourself, because I can help.  Don't think those things all alone.
He promised.

	Well, the world is in a heap of trouble.  It's got hurricanes
and earthquakes and wars.  There are people starving and small
children working 12 hour days at sweatshops for pennies a day.  There
is injustice and hatred, illness and ignorance.  Meyshe sees all this
and cannot get it out of his head.  Wonder and compassion, beauty and
hope, enlightenment, joy and invention become invisible to him.  The
newspaper is a bomb set to go off if he reads the headlines.  We
cannot talk politics as he will not be able to stop.  He never gets
it off his chest.  He just gets sucked deeper and deeper into
perseverance.  He becomes irrational.  Mama picks up the pieces and
tries to put Meyshe together again.

	I called the doctor who prescribes Meyshe's meds and recited
his state of mind.  I also told her a curious thing that I'd noticed.
Meyshe is always ecstatic when he gets up in the morning.  He leaps
downstairs, runs back and forth, hopping when he changes direction.
He is  laughing and talking in a loud voice to himself.  He
daydreams.  That's what he calls it.  He dances all over the house,
and can barely sit still to eat his breakfast and take his pills.
Meyshe's pill regimen:  an anti-depressent, Luvox, a mood stabilizer
for the perseveration and paranoia, Seroquel, and a ritalin
derivative, Metadate, to help him calm down and focus.  You can't be
leaping around in the classroom now, can you?  What would be learned
by anyone?  (Maybe the dance steps.  That could actually help a day
at school.)  Then, about a half hour after he takes his pills, he
becomes solemn.  This turns into grim.  And by the time he'd get home
from school, he would be depressed.  Anxious.  Volatile.

	The doctor decided to substitute plain old Ritalin for the
Metadate.  Just see what it might do.  Report to her after a few days.

	I have this to report:  Meyshe is feeling better now.  He is
able to laugh and play around, even after taking his meds.  He calms
down from a bout of, "Oh, how horrible is this world," and can see
the hope and tiny miracles in life.  No talk of suicide.

	Today, he came home and handed me an essay that he did at
school today.  It was a spontaneous essay on Thankfulness, with
instructions on what to include in the content, and directions to put
in paragraphs at appropriate places.  Five paragraphs, including a
conclusion wrap-up.  The format can sometimes eclipse the content,
since it's so much easier to grade.

	This is what he wrote, word for word, misspellings and
grammatical errors in tact.

	Happiness

	What am I thankful for?  Well, I am satsified that I have a
personality which is loving, a sense of justice, selfless, and very
intelligent.  I am an Artist, Musician, and a Writer.  I have a
family that cares for me; friends to help me; and living in the San
Francisco Bay Area.  I want to be an advocate for social and
environmental justice.  I have a good sense of humor.  I have several
interests!  I have so much knowledge.  I'm not macho!  I'm happy
about the fact that so many universities, libraries, museums, and
other places that are open to me, waiting for me to come to them.
So, when I go to college, I'd choose the Arts, Geography, History,
Anthropology, and Languages e.g. Latin, Greek, German, French,
Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tibetan, Hebrew, Arabic,
and Scandinavian, and Ecology.

	I'm also grateful that people of all ages, races, cultural,
ethnic, and political background, sexual orientation, religion, and
all others live here in close harmony.  Who knows?  Maybe I can share
my knowledge to the next generation and make a difference.  Oh, if
only I can help the United States and the World right now?!  I love
the Earth!  That's what I'm thankful for:  For the whole Earth and
Humanity!  Why should I compare myself to others?  Why can't we all
be thankful that we're here on the planet?!!

	I am thankful that I am here on the planet.  I am thankful
for Meyshe's spirit which can rise above the obstacle of his autism
and cure a small piece of the world.

	Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

	Love,

	Tobie