TheBanyanTree: Rodents

Laura wolfljshus at insightbb.com
Mon Nov 21 20:40:25 PST 2005

We had yet another power surge this afternoon.  Shuts down all the
computers, which the kids are using for school work, and makes me have to
go around the house resetting vcrs, dvd players, and the dang microwave
clocks!  These power surges are always accompanied by a faint BOOM from a
couple of streets over.

Larry finally got fed up with this happening two and three times a week,
and thinking that maybe we have a faulty transformer in the neighborhood,
he called the electric company.

Did you know that it is not physically possible to contact a human bean
at the electric company by phone?  I guess they figure you might complain
'er sumfin.

The feller at the electric company was nice enough to return Larry's
call. He explained that for some reason, the squirrels are able to
contact the power cables AND hook their tails around a grounding wire at
the same time.  !!***ZAP***!!  Fried squirrel!  Hee,hee.  I hate
squirrels.

While I like the idea that they can fry themselves while getting on the
power lines to drop their damn walnuts in my yard, I really don't like
the interruption of power everytime one of them is stupid enough to get
itself killed.  The power feller said they were going to go check on the
area where it keeps happening (sure enough, two streets up and one over),
and see why all of a sudden the squirrels are able to get fried.

I suspect one of the big pine trees has finally pulled a power line down
low enough that the nasty rodents can get to it from the grounding wire.

That should be an easy fix.  It will be nice to not have to worry about
the computers getting shut off suddenly and unpredictably.

<grinning evilly at the thought of fried squirred at the base of a pole>

--
Laura
wolfljshus at insightbb.com
http://home.insightbb.com/~wolfljshus/index.html