TheBanyanTree: Death of a Roach

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 20 14:02:35 PST 2005

"It's just you an' me, asshole."

I don't like roaches and this one got in my way. When a girl is on a
journey to herself, she doesn't need the likes of filthy, disgusting
insects interrupting her travel.  I saw that sucker for the second time
as I was making another cup of coffee.  As it was, his first appearance
caused me to put my coffee supplies in the fridge and vow to not use
anything in the small kitchenette without washing it to death first.
The dive I was staying in was cheap, particularly for a beach
community.  It was cheap and apparently not without roommates of the six
legged variety.  The furniture was ratty, the appliances rusty and the
harsh overhead light glaring too brightly when I arrived at 2:30 in the
morning had made it look all the worse.  I needed to be here.

I was absently-mindedly minding my own coffee business as ibuprofen
eased a beer headache.  I put the single cone on my cup, folded the
filter edges and when it was seated perfectly in the cone, put in four
heaping scoops of ground coffee.  The first cup, while good and hot, had
been just a tad weak.  I hate weak coffee so this cup was going to make
up for it.  From the left peripheral came the roach approach.  The first
time I'd seen him, I was startled and may have uttered an understated
girly shriek.  No one made fun of me, though, because I was alone.  It
had taken me three hours to drive here by myself.  It had taken me out
of my realm and out of my everyday life.  It had taken no small amount
of courage to get into my car at 10:00pm knowing I'd be the furthest
from home I'd ever been alone and without anyone to meet upon arrival.
I needed to do that.  I needed to get behind the wheel and go despite my
sudden reservations as I left.  I was thinking, "What am I doing and why
do I have to do it??"  The only thing I really knew for sure was that if
I didn't, a lot of ground I had gained lately on a personal level would
have been lost.  Ground gained at a sacrifice should not be easily given
up, so regardless of a lonely feeling I got in the car and arrived in
time to hear my band play before finding a desk clerk awake enough to
rent me a room.

The first showing of my uninvited roommate made me look even closer at
my weekend digs.  The place was not only rundown but none too clean,
either.  Since I hadn't been in the bathroom nude yet, I doubted
ownership of the pubic hairs on the floor.  The place was a general fest
of faint filth.  Not enough to alarm right away but it didn't take too
long to spot upon inspection.  I was really ok with that, though.  If
you are on a quest for self and digging deep, you're probably getting
down and dirty.  I was, anyway.  I was digging into frightening aspects
of choices I'd have to make and wondering just how many people I'd have
to hurt, including myself, to achieve some nameless passion.  This was
work that couldn't have been done honestly in pristine surroundings
which made this room perfect.  I am not pristine.  I have lost my sheen
and upon close inspection am none too clean, either.  I can't decide if
this is the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end.  Either
way, it's movement in motion.

That little son-of-a-bitch  came at me without regard of my emotional
state.  Scurrying, scuttling and sneaking about in the full light of
day.  Wasn't he supposed to be hiding right about then...?  Waiting for
nightfall and darkness to pounce so that when the light was suddenly and
harshly presented from overhead he could scamper away on six germ-ridden
feet?  This day was the wrong one for him to move from the norm and
break into new daylit territory.  On this day, he should have stayed
behind the coffee pot warming his insect hide.  Unfortunately, he
decided to venture forth.  I poised myself over him with a kitchen towel
and came down hard on his fragile exoskeleton.  His back legs not
working, he tried to stagger away with a broken body and confused roach
thoughts.  He never saw me coming and by the time he realized he should
have been running for his life, it was too late.  The second smack of
the towel was the fatal blow.  He couldn't have known that to overcome a
roach on my own, in a dirty room occupied by one, I was empowered.  I
had used the towel against the odds of self-imposed angst and
loneliness.  My arm raised above my head, I struck at ambivalence and
indecisiveness.  He may not have lived and died for much other gain, but
I got something out of it.

I sat on my hotel bed with my coffee which was hot and mercifully
strong.  Bright sunlight streamed through the dirty windows as I
rummaged through my purse for anything on which to write; any viable
surface onto which I could scratch out the event of the pest.  I wrote
and sipped my brew as the warmth, if any warmth exists in a roach,
dissipated from his dead body which had landed in the sink.  I left him
there as a warning to any other unwanted roommates.  I hoped they'd get
the message because a dead comrade has a lot of story to tell even
without a note pinned to his chest.  It's a simple message, really, that
even an ignorant insect should be able to appreciate.

Don't fuck with a girl on a mission to herself.

Maria