TheBanyanTree: Fwd: UPS Strikes Again

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Nov 20 11:48:57 PST 2005

>But how did that package get THERE?

November 20, 100000000005

Dear Recipients,

	In 1991, our house and everything in it,
save what I could save, burned down in the
Berkeley/Oakland hills Fire.  The great fire.  We
were cast out into the world without an address.
And we began our odyssey of moving from place to
place.  We moved seven times in three years.  I
don't mean to say that we lived in seven
different places.  I mean we went through the
moving process seven times.  There were many
addresses, and each time, we had to put in those
change of address forms.  Many packages and
letters travelled our route trying to catch up
with us in our new location.

	One of the unhinging factors was that
twice in this odyssey, we lived with my parents.
They have the same last name that I do.  And so
the perversion of people and addresses began.
When we moved from my parents' house to a new
house, I put in those change of address forms.
Did I expect the United States Postal Service to
get it right?  I did not.  But I didn't expect
what happened.

	Tobie Shapiro has moved.  Tobie Shapiro
is now somewhere else.  And the twist was that
mailing lists began to convert my mother's
address to my new address.  My father would get
mail with my address on the envelope.  To this
day, I get mail for my father and he's been dead
for nine years.  I gave up writing, "Not at this
address.  Return to sender," on the envelope and
sending it back.  It didn't work.  And likewise,
or vice versa, my mother will get mail for me at
her address.  How these names get all mixed up on
mailing lists and then disseminate geometrically
from the central mistake is the marvel.  It is
just a marvel to watch.  Like someone has started
a chain letter, where the recipient is to put my
name on a new address, cross out my father's
name, send him mail at my address, put their own
names with my address at the bottom of the list,
and send copies of the letter to fifty of their
favourite best friends.  After a while it adds
up. (Do not break the chain.  Some people have
broken the chain and were swallowed by the United
States Postal Service within days.  They have
been ground up and made into pulp on which 37¢
commemorative stamps are then printed.  They are
ironically mailed to their own addresses.  Don't
let this happen to you.  Don't break the chain.)

	I do frequently get mail for me at my
address.  I regard this as a minor miracle.

	Yours,

	and then yours,

	and then yours,

	Tobie