TheBanyanTree: UPS Strikes Again

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Nov 19 20:05:39 PST 2005

UPS apparently knows much more about me than anyone should. They have
tracked me backwards to places I'd tried to forget.

A package was sent to me last month. In the rush to move, a change of
address was not provided in an appropriate manner to the appropriate
people, so the package was delivered to my former residence.

>From there, it went on a torturous route, a trip through both time and
space, back to a previous address, and another, and to places unknown,
waters uncharted, et cetera, until it ended up in Woodsfield, Ohio, at
the house currently occupied by my first husband. The house formerly
occupied by his mother, who died two years ago and left the house to
him. I never lived there. Visited a few times, certainly. But this
package, addressed to Monique Young, somehow found its way to a man I
haven't spoken to in years, and I had no idea where he was. I might have
thought he was in California, which is where I heard from him last,
years ago.

So he called me, finding my number somewhere among his stuff, thinking
it probably wouldn't work because the number is old, and I've obviously
moved, as evidenced by the different addresses on the package. But it's
my cell phone, it's been with me for several years, and so when he
dialed that particular number he got my voicemail.

He figured it was probably something I paid for and would therefore
want.

We talked about what we'd been up to in the past few years. He's
finishing school shortly, as a surgery tech. At last - he's finishing
something. He's stopped smoking. At least for the time being. He lives
alone in his mother's house while he finishes school and then he thinks
he'll move someplace where he can find a job. No jobs where he's at now,
and he doesn't like the cold.

And what have I been up to the last few years? Nothing much at all, just
living a quiet life.

But how did that package get THERE?