TheBanyanTree: Everyday Events

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 11:32:22 PST 2005

Allen got his early application into NCSU.  At the last minute, of
course, and with me nagging for days to get it done.  I was nagging in
large part because in order for him to be eligible for university wide
scholarships, he had to have it in by November 1.  And, as a middle
class white boy  (I don't mean disrespect here) this kid won't be
eligible for grants or free money based on needs.  So, we have to rely
on his academics, which are awesome, and whatever other kinds of
scholarships he can qualify for.  This is going to take a lot of
research and work but I feel well equipped to do it.  Research and
problem solving are passions of mine (oddly enough considering I am not
logical at all) so I'm looking forward to it.  Thankfully, I will have
more time on my hands very shortly.

I have changed my work hours now to three days a week.  In a month it
will be down to two ten hour days but we have to fill the collections
rep position first.  I have wanted this schedule for a year now but it
seems nothing moves quickly.  I needed full time money for a while more
and my employer needed time to arrange for all of this.  Turns out, I'm
not the only one who wanted to go part time so the current collections
rep will job share with me....eh, as soon as we get the right person to
do *her* job.  It's a good thing I've learned to be patient over the
years.  I know it can seem as if I have no patience now (to those who
know me personally) but trust me, I have come a long way, baby.  And
this theory has been tested of late so I can say with assurance that I
have improved on that front.  The docs I work for as well as the admin
staff are such gracious and awesome people.  I know as long as I live
here I will work for them in some capacity.  They know I may want go
back to full time and since they love the dickens out of me, they say
they'll be sure there is something for me to do at that time.  I have
never been treated this well as an employee anywhere I have ever worked
and it is worth so much to me.  I'd do anything for them.  When you land
somewhere and are loved and appreciated for the exact person you are,
warts and all, buddy...you should stay put.  And that's my plan.

My oldest son and his wife moved out recently.  Yeah, go back in the
archives a few months to read all about the move in...I really didn't
think move out would be this soon.  Seems while I was in Florida there
was a disagreement about their dog.  Randy didn't feel the dog should
chew the siding and frames of the house and the kids thought the dog
shouldn't be evicted.  I thought that since all this happened while I
was gone and I had no part in it, I'd take no part when I returned and I
didn't.  I'm tired of being a referee and a go-between.  Bump that, I
have a LOT on my mind these days and I don't have any space for that
petty crap.  So.  They have to live with decisions they make and not
think I'll fix it.  Never should have gotten into that role in the first
place, I take responsibility for that.  I filled it with ease and for
many years but I am done with that job.  I ain't going part time in it,
either, nope.  I frikkin' quit.

My kitten Jack is quite the little prankster here and since the other
dog is gone, he is well under way to knowing I am his favorite thing in
the house.  Who knew it was a pit bull pup that was keeping him from
knowing it?  He sits with me and purrs his furry little hide off.  He
suck/chews on my fingers to get back that wonderful nursing feeling and
drools like a hound when his head is vigorously rubbed.  He is the
softest cat I have ever rubbed on and I love that little Jack quite a
lot.  I still think of Socks and I still miss him.  I also wonder about
my life after Jack.  I know it's premature....I hope.  After all, we
haven't had a lot of luck with cats, we've buried three in the last
seven years.  Who knows when Jack's demise will be, I just sincerely
hope it is before mine since cats don't actually live very long.
Especially around this house.....

Not much else in my ordinary life going on.  When I'm sane, I live a
very sedate life.  Shop at WalMart once a week for grub for the troops.
Cook once or twice a week, work four days.  Clean house, wash clothes,
care for pets.  I am writing more these days than in a very long time
(you, as readers, may be aware of this) and it feels pretty good.  I'm
generally happy with what I clack out although I do think I need to
change the subject up more often.  Yeah, that's what this is about, you
caught me.  I'm reminding all of us; you, me and everyone in between,
that I am not a crack head 95% of the time.  It seems every few weeks I
go a little berserk, do something that worries me and then I back off
for a while.  Really, it's ok.  I'll be alright.

I think therefore I am, right?

Maria