TheBanyanTree: Cutting Through the Cut

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 5 08:43:22 PST 2005

I'm on the road again.  This time in Knoxville, Tennessee. Knoxville
is a
cool town, a town that once hosted the World's Fair. There are still
reminders of it in the downtown area.  The Sphere still graces the
"skyline" of Knoxville.  I wonder if Knoxville has ever finally paid the
bill in full yet for all the costs they had to bear to host the event?

http://www.expomuseum.com/1982/

There is another more subtle reminder that Knoxville hosted a World's
Fair
event in the past.  Drive into Knoxville heading east or west on I-40
and around 12 miles from downtown Knoxville one encounters an
oversized highway sign denoting "Knoxville -- 12 mi or 20 km" (this sign
is located at the above mentioned place when heading west on I-40 --
there
is one on the outskirts of town on the east side of Knoxville but I
don't
know the exact mileage (and km mention) when coming into Knoxville from
that direction.  Why do I mention this?  Well, very possibly those
are the
only two interstate highway road signs in all of Tennessee that mention
any distances in kilometers.

The reason they are there is they will put up just before the World's
Fair for the benefit of people coming to the World's Fair from other
countries.  The World's Fair is long gone.  The signs are still there
though and have been repaired and replaced, no doubt, since 1982 but
the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) still makes sure
that those signs still read as per the original text penned for the
visitors expected in 1982.

What's this about the cut, you say?  Well, if you've made it this far
(or
if you've skimmed quickly through this message looking for the "meat" of
this post) I've got good news and I've got bad news.

The good news is it's coming.  The bad news is, well, that it's
coming.

Can't wait?  Well, I certainly hope so!

;-)

;-)

This feeble Jedi mind trick brought to you by Late Night Synapse
Misfire,
Inc.  Please show your support by patronizing our faithful sponsors.

;-)

    bd