TheBanyanTree: Getting Better or An Oldie But a Goodie or This is Way Too Long For Comfort (take your pick)

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Wed May 25 19:02:26 PDT 2005

It's an intense thing, not necessarily a bad thing, it's just intense,
this midlife crisis.   My therapist (a pretty good sign that something
is happening in your life is weekly or bi-weekly talks with  someone who
hangs a diploma on the wall) asks me how do I know?  What have I
discovered to make me believe or know that this is the real deal?
(She's always got these wacky kinds of questions...)  And ya know...?
Just so happens I have been thinking about that all along anyway.  I had
some answers up my anxious sleeve, juicy,  just waiting to be plucked.

Ok, here's something.  It is in one's forties that one starts to meet
adults who are young enough to be their children.  Self sufficient, been
through school, earning paychecks and even some raising families...yep;
coulda birthed 'em.  Coulda nursed them at the breast twenty years or
more ago.  Coulda had an episiotomy with their name on it.  I think that
by the time a person gets to the fifties and then sixties and so on and
so on, this is old hat but it is a surprise in the forties...as if we
didn't know all along we and the world around us was getting older.  It
sort of stuns the senses when all of a sudden you look down and your
body went ahead with a stealth aging process whilst your mind grew
sharper and clearer, you learned who you were as a person, became
confident within your own skin.  This....all of this....as your mutinous
and defiant flesh began flowing south.  It boggles this sharp, witty
mind.  So...that's one thing I've learned.  Chalk one up for me.

And, of course, no brainer, I just so happen to have made a significant
life change right in the middle of said life.  Hence, the midlife
crisis; you understand the connection.  I carry pictures of me of when I
was nearly three hundred pounds because it is at the point where people
don't always believe me.  Which is another mind boggler...who would
lie?  I mean, sure, I might be tempted to say I used to be a smoking hot
runway model who let herself go but why would I say I used to wear a
size twenty-six pants, got made fun of by children and felt breathless
lying on my back because the fat so squeezed my lungs if
it...weren't...true????  Ok, I know, I know, they don't really think I'm
lying.  They are just amazed because to merely look at one who has done
this is to not know she did it.  I find that amazing, too, and sometimes
will look at the pictures for myself just to see that I'm not
hallucinating and that this is really and truly the new me even though
I've been this me for a while now.  So now when I look in the mirror I
get a glimpse of something very unfamiliar.  I see an attractive woman
and then I dress her attractively and apply makeup to her face which has
become a lot less round.  I lead her around with a false confidence and
try to imagine who she would be if she had not ever had to lose a
hundred pounds and what she might have done with her time in a different
meantime.  Which leads to a lot of anxiety about where new me could go,
how old me could eat new me in the space of a nanosecond if there was
ranch dressing to dip me in.   How old me could talk new me into all
kinds of things just to get her fleshy toehold back into the game.  Then
a struggle ensues.  I can see how easy it would be to let new me develop
some of the bad habits of old me and put them to dasdardly use by
refusing food or eating only fruit and yogurt and in general using
control on the other end of that raw, dirty and dark spectrum.  It's a
lot to think about as I enter insurance at work or drive or talk on the
phone or shop or cook.  It's non-stop.  So there we are, new and old me
trying to find a comfort zone because we all have to live in here.  No
one is going to go away, no one is going to bully the other.  We are
going to all hold hands and get through this together and come out
friends.  We have to.  I can't survive if we don't.  It's that simple.

Ah, the age old questions of a midlife crisis....  Is this all my life
is about?  Have I made a contribution?  Am I doing what I was destined
to do or did I miss the boat or worse, did I jump off of it?  What the
hell is my purpose anyway?  Yes, yes, these questions and more all
spring to life as one waits minute upon hour to go back to sleep night
after night after night.  I think about the kind of person I want to be,
strive to be, which has nothing to do with any of those questions.  I'm
comfortable with my level of honesty, my treatment of others, my love of
life in general.  But I lack time to do the more tangible things I love
like write and exercise at the intense level I enjoy most.  Perhaps it
is that I lack the energy by the time I get home from work.  Why do I
hook myself out every day to make money for someone else and then wonder
why I don't feel fulfilled?  Some would say why ask why and then keep
right on punching that time clock.  No, I say.  No.  I can't keep doing
it because this is not my life.  If it were, I'd have to shoot myself
right this very instant, first in the foot so that it wouldn't hurt so
bad when I shot myself in the head.  I suddenly care a lot less about
having disposable income than giving away my life in small slices which
over time add up to the whole damn pie.  The solution to this puzzle is
in the works and God bless the pimp I work for.  The love and
understanding with which my request to severely reduce my hours was met
is unheard of in the working world, or at least the countries of that
world in which I've traveled, anyway.  When I landed on their doorstep,
a bit battered and tattered, it was a miracle from heaven for which I
will always be grateful.  I sometimes venture into trying to explain the
depth of my feelings for the people I work with and if I went as far as
it is deep, I'd end up crying.  So, just to keep a little sanity in the
mix, I downplay it at the point at which sobs could escape.  But, truly,
truly, do I love the people I work with.  You might understand how these
two polar opposite sides of the fence could pinch the ass that sits on
it and cause some angst.  Sure, there are other parts of the 'purpose'
equation such as nearly desperately wanting to live solely for others
for a while, say a year in Gautamala, but those things are further
back.  Either I have abandoned them in the path or have not yet
encountered them to their full extent.  I am not sure but it is the
first question, the question of not working everyday for someone else,
no matter the amount of love I have for them, that is foremost on my
mind.  I think I should get another chalk mark for making these
distinctions even if I can't always sort them into sensible patterns.

So at this junction I begin to see that if I am to move away from some
of the things that keep my life the way it is; which is not bad but not
everything I think it could be, the only thing for me to do is leave.
Leave the comfort zone and take some risks.  Leave the safety net and
begin to jump with the clear knowledge that I could fall and be
bruised.  Now, some might dare to sky dive or run with the bulls but I
am willing to begin at the beginning which is to say, I have taken teeny
weeny steps at risk taking these past weeks and almost months.  First, I
have shared some of the things I have written at work.  Things that are
very personal and show a piece of who I am that I don't usually share.
I was amazed and in love all over again to have these writings so well
received that I ventured again to inviting some people in person versus
just hoping they'd pick up the folder.  Personally as in an invitation,
to read the stuff.  I might as well say, please know me.  Please care
about who I am under and within and aside from what I do here.  This
could be a surprise to the people who have been getting to know me
through what I write for several years now but in person I am much less
vulnerable than what you see written.  And to pass these people in the
hall when I know they know I know they know.  Well.  It's daunting, I'll
say that much.  But good; good daunting.  Pleasant daunting, living and
breathing daunting.  I can deal with that.

I also recently almost went rappelling.  Yes, I almost went and I am
happy with the outcome.  Not because I didn't or even as simple as that
I tried, no, I am happy because I actually went as far as I did.  I
stood with my back to the edge of a cliff and although I didn't go down,
I stood there believing I would not fall.  Now, I would have had that
fear had I gone down but I got right next to the edge without it.  It
was huge for me because I have an issue with height but it is the edge
that really scares me.   I can't even stand with my back to the stairs
here at home.  The people I went with were so wonderful and so
supportive.  The instructor was confident and capable.  He was
reassuring and made me want to try again just by his sheer kindness.  I
was sent a picture and noticed right away that as his head was bent
toward me, his voice guiding me with a strong and gentle tone, his left
arm was behind me.  I know there were others there but it is almost from
the perspective of a blind man.  I can close my eyes and sense every
part of it, from the tight fitting harness to the odd tangles and
twisted metal configurations that make a rope safe.  I can still smell
the air as it cooled and feel the presence of the strength next to me,
an arm behind me.  No matter how many people, no matter the lack of
broken gravity, no matter coming back when it was only four steps out.
I was safe, I was respected and it was a gift.  I can't wait to try
again.  Baby steps, baby steps.  As I proudly showed the picture around,
yes, goofy me bragging about not finishing (but I've already explained
all that so I know you understand) I knew I had gained something.  And
it was good.

I drove there by myself, by the way.  Yep.  Never been there, didn't
know the way.  That is a huge risk for me.  And there have been smaller
risks along the way but it's something I try to do on a daily basis.
Wear something snug fitting on my waist or call the 'running' store and
describe myself as a beginning jogger.  Let a new friend know how much I
like her and want to get to know her better even if I sometimes skat
away.  All of these things take me out of my comfort zone and that's
where I want to be.  I don't want my air of confidence to be a big, fat,
fake lie.  I don't want to wake in the night in fear and gut wrenching
anticipation of what might happen.  I want to live and live and live.  I
want the world to know how I feel and I want the ones I love to know
it.  I want to be known for who I am which isn't always that great but I
want it to be known real in any case.  Warts and all.

Might I suggest, there should be more acceptable answers to the question
"How are you?" than "Fine."  It seems so often I am not really fine,
particularly if I am having an intense day.  I want to introduce
'fraught.'  'How are you', you ask, I say 'fraught' and no more
explaination is need.  Perhaps I can say more with a simple 'wrought' or
a more telling 'overwrought.'  'Distraught' can be held for those days
which are so bad you wish to God no one would ask and then when they did
they would know the full extent in the one word answer without the need
for a full explaination.

"How are you today?"
"Distraught."
Whole story done and done and everyone can keep right on walking.

It sounds as easy as pie to me because the real truth of the matter
isn't that people don't care about the answer or how we actually feel,
it's the situation in which the question is usually posed.  The question
with the most potential for truth and understanding is saved for the
least amount of time in which to deliver it.  We should stop doing that
but in the absence of  sewing together a whole new culture, let's try it
my way as a small step forward, one small patch on the quilt.

So, that's me.  Having a midlife crisis for those who didn't know.
Putting together the pieces sometimes with a blindfold and other times
with boxing gloves on.  It doesn't seem to matter the nature of the
struggle, it is still a struggle.  The more I learn the less I know and
the more I want to know.  These are the days of my life, my friends.  I
am on the hunt for so much but not bored and am revelling at this sink
or swim time of life.  I think I'll swim even though it is trying and
tiring and I get leg cramps.  The water is still refreshing even if I am
afraid that I see shark shadows in the deep.  And if you see me on the
street and ask the all important question, I want you to be forewarned
that I am changing the face of our society forever and ever amen with
this one simple new rule of social ettiquette.

"How are you today, Maria?"
"Rife."

The hell with anyone else.  I earned these chalk marks all on my own.

~ ~ ~Maria~ ~ ~