TheBanyanTree: Boild Peanuts

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed May 25 12:19:54 PDT 2005

That's what the handmade sign said. "Boild Peanuts" was crudely painted on a
crooked piece of warped plywood that leaned against a twenty-year old station
wagon along the highway. The owner and his grizzled old dog, were asleep
inside. Both woke when I pulled off the pavement and onto the gravel verge. The dog
went back to sleep. The man came around to open the back of the station wagon.

"I'll try some," I said. He nodded and opened the large cooler inside the
back of the vehicle.

"Taste a few," he said, indicating I should dip my hand in. I did, and was
surprised to find the peanuts in the cooler steaming hot.

"They best that way," he told me.

Now, I'd had boiled peanuts before, in Georgia, and was not overly impressed.
But, there was a strange, if passive, persistance in this fellow who parked
at this spot day after day, rain or humidity or blazing heat.

I opened and ate the hot inner nuts, which, surprizingly, had a spicy, smoky
flavor.

"They're good," I said to him."I'll take some."

"I knew y'would," he said with a nod. He was not old, but the slowness and
awkwardness of his movements indicated a lack of employability. He used a
styrofome cup to scoop a measure of peanuts into a plastic bag. The inside of the
bag instantly steamed as he bound the top with a rubber band.

"What do I owe you?" I asked him as he closed the cooler and handed me the
warm bag.

He shrugged with his whole body. "I seen you drive by near every day," he
answered.

"Yes, I drive by here a lot," I said. "Every time I have to go into town I
take this road."

He seemed to think about that. "I don't go to town any more," he said. "Too
many people."

"I know," I said, laughing. "That's why we live out here, isn't it?"

He nodded and held up two fingers, and I handed him two dollars.

"You drive careful, y'hear," he said as I walked back to my van.

"I will.  And, I'll be back for more peanuts."

"Yep," he said, then waved, and headed back to resume his nap.

NancyLee