TheBanyanTree: Random Pity Party

Cecil cctalley at uia.net
Sat Mar 26 10:05:10 PST 2005

At 8:31 PM -0800 3/25/05, Monique Young wrote:
>And you're invited, but feel free to decline this invitation. You have
>been warned.
>
>Sometimes I wonder if I can ever trust anyone again. What for? To what
>end? Leave me alone, I want to tell everyone, when the last thing I want
>is to be alone. But I can't ask for anymore than I already have. I ask
>for too much. I'm over my head, I'm drowning in deep water, and all I
>want is to be safe without having to rely on anyone. But I can't. I
>can't be by myself, alone and self-reliant. And why not?
>
>I don't know why not. But I can't. And I can't trust anyone else to be
>there for me either. In the end, I am certain, everyone is looking for
>something better. I won't be left again, I tell myself, and people tell
>me, "who ever left?" My ex says that, always in denial about who left
>whom when. He left first, he fell in love with others while I was right
>there, trying to support him in his illness. Betrayal sucks. My first
>husband chose to drink instead of be married. He says I left him, which
>I did, but he checked out first. It wasn't right anyway - I was too
>young, we weren't together for the right reasons. I dated someone who
>told me men are always looking for something . . . different. I don't
>think that's true, not for all of them certainly, but I now believe that
>anyone who is with me will be.
>
>I imagine my bf coming to me and saying he met someone else, though he's
>not like that at all. He'd break it off first.
>
>When my ex became ill my life fell apart. And my friends, some of them,
>disappeared. Not disappeared entirely, but they kept their distance. I
>understand - people don't know what to say, it's out of their realm of
>experience, but some of them were very good friends, and I felt as if
>they had left me too. What did I have left?
>
>I drive people away. That must be it. If I send a greeting to my mother
>she responds and says she's been thinking of me, but she won't call.
>She'll only email me if she hasn't heard from me for, oh, weeks and
>weeks. We used to IM, but she was rude, she'd disconnect in the middle
>of a conversation without saying she was leaving, because her husband
>wanted to use the phone, and that was unacceptable to me. It takes a
>second to type, "gotta go, bye," or just . . ."bye," instead of leaving
>someone sitting there waiting for a response. So she doesn't IM me
>anymore. She hasn't called me in many years. My father doesn't call me.
>Ever. My brothers, my sister, never. Friends? Rarely. And I? I call no
>one. I have phone phobia. No one wants to talk to me on the phone. If
>anyone calls me I probably don't answer, because I don't know what to
>say on the phone, and I sound stupid. And slow. Verrry slow. Very bad at
>conversation, that's me. I talk to my boyfriend on the phone. I talk to
>my ex on the phone. I talk to clients on the phone, but even then I
>email if possible instead of calling, except for a few that I like to
> [...]

If I could hear well, I'd be pestering the hell out of all my friends
(both of them) all the time on the phone, All my relatives (all
266,000,988,77 of them) would get unlisted phone numbers and make
sure I didn't know them.

As it is, I talk to very few people. I can't blame them. After all,
who wants to shout and be asked to repeat constantly? I wouldn't. But
why don't they e-mail me? Now, that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Maybe I'm like the guy who spent hundreds curing his halitosis only
to discover his friends didn't like him anyway.

Do you believe in predestination? Are some born lucky? Are some
destined to become wealthy? Am I a born loner? No, I don't believe
that. I think there's a logical reason for everything. If people shun
you, there is a reason. If folks are attracted to you, there is a
logical reason for that also. People react. Everyone wants to be made
to feel good and to be appreciated. Some of us go through our entire
lives without learning that simple fact and wonder why we have so few
friends.

Please understand that I'm pointing my finger at myself alone and at
no one else.

Merely being aware of facts, however, is not enough. Our
personalities are formed early in life, and any change for the better
requires effort.

Cecil, waxing something or other