TheBanyanTree: The Herd of Seven

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 04:55:11 PST 2005

There are seven deer that roam our neighborhood.  I see them in our backyard
in the pre-dawn mornings and sometimes at dusk raiding our birdfeeders.  I
see them wandering down the busy road when I’m driving to the gym in the
very early morning, probably looking for more birdfeeders.  I always drive
slow and keep my eyes peeled to sides of the road on those drives.  The lead
deer could pop out from between houses or from behind a tree at any time and
smash into my car.  The other deer are always right behind her, so if she
missed me, then I might get plopped by another one.

The herd of seven was in our backyard on this Easter morning.  At first, I
just saw two deer, and then when I looked out the window a little bit later,
all seven of them were prancing in the yard behind us.  My birdfeeders were
already empty.  I guess they were just hanging out digesting their meal
before moving on to the next yard.

It’s a little discouraging to fill up the feeders and then have them cleaned
out so quickly.  I do enjoy the birds and the squirrels that come to the
feeders.  The deer won’t be around as much in the summer, so the birds will
come back in strong numbers then.

It will be a nice Easter for Minnesotans this year.  The sun is shining.
There is no wind.  And the highs are supposed to be in the mid-50s.  I moved
my grandsons’ bikes to the front of the garage, so they can take that first
spring ride when they come over today.

When I went for my run yesterday, I saw geese and ducks clustered around the
open middles of the ponds.  There is still ice close to shore, but the
middles were ice free.  Even though I’ve been tanning, the skin on my face
was glad to feel the real sun’s rays as I did my run around the park.

The best thing about running is being outside as winter transitions to
spring.  Each time I run, the scenery changes just a little bit.  There are
more buds on the trees, there is less ice on the ponds, the sun is a little
stronger, and there is a greenish tinge to the tops of the trees.

I’ll go to the club later this morning and get my work out in.  I’ll tan one
more time before we leave for the Caribbean tomorrow morning.  I’ll get the
ham in the oven.  Ray and I will do most of our packing this afternoon as
the cab picks us up at 4 am tomorrow.  The boys will come over and check out
their cool Power Ranger and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles baskets from the
Easter Bunny.  We’ll eat our Easter dinner and stuff ourselves with pecan
silk pie afterwards.  We’ll welcome the spring.

Then tomorrow, Ray and I will welcome the endless Caribbean summer.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a
song.
~Chinese Proverb