TheBanyanTree: Bush uglies

Anita Coia anita at redpepper.net.au
Thu Mar 17 00:45:04 PST 2005

Hello, hello... poking my toe back in the water...or perhaps gingerly
poking my hand in among the branches. Which isn't a particularly natural
thing for me to do as an Antipodean, what with the garden's regular
inhabitants of white-tail spiders (carrying a parasite that rots your
flesh) and red-back spiders (poisonous) and huntsman spiders (not
poisonous, just big and ugly).
At least there are no leeches - not here, anyway. We have to travel up
to The Male's beautiful 50 acre property in Kinglake, a semi-rural area
about an hour from here. It contains a very pretty, very leech-ridden
fern gully, with some plants probably hundreds and hundreds of years
old. My only leech experience up there so far has been, unfortunately,
when I was in the process of relieving myself on the fringes of
aforementioned fern gully.  Yes, this property has no amenities at all -
it's all native bush, apart from fire trails and a cleared area of about
3 acres. The Male built a great hut with a rainwater tank, but you have
to make your own heat and light, and the civilised delights of the WC
are yet to appear - the bush dunny currently exists only through the aid
of a shovel.
Looking down and finding a largish leech attached to my sock while my
delicate regions were poised vulnerably out in the open air didn't
thrill me one bit. The Male judged my scream to mean I was in a
life-threatening situation (there are a couple of species of very
poisonous snakes up there), and retreated in some disgust when he
realised it was only a leech. I probably wouldn't have reacted so badly
if it had in fact been a snake - at least I know they're too big to
sneak up and bite me on the bottom.  I now know better than to relieve
myself near the ferns - better to risk embarrassment in the more open
areas...nothing like the bush to show me what a city girl I still am.
Still, at least we don't have BEARS!!!!

Anita
xxx