TheBanyanTree: Waiting on Daughter

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 14 17:59:00 PST 2005

Last week my daughter and I went to California together as you may know
from reading some recent posts of mine.

Now I sit at her college's Student Center pecking away at the keyboard
of this computer waiting on her to finish some evening classes.  I have
run daughter to school duty this week and am passing the time with you
guys.  Seems like a logical thing to do since I have my other work
caught up on and I have the time.

I'm in an upstairs section of the Student Center where they have some
fast food joints (Starbucks, Quiznos Subs, Mellow Mushroom, etc) and
listening to the PA play Eddie Money's "Baby Hold on to Me".

In front of me is a fold up sheet of paper advertising "Episodes in
SEXuality" at the Black Box of Townsend Center from March 14th-17th at
7:00 p.m.  "DIVERSITY!" it says at the bottom of the page. What's that
all about?  No, I don't mean what's that all about, but what's THAT all
about.  You know, what's this thing about?  I assume it's a play or
skit.  The only visual clue other than the words on the page is a
picture of a woman's right foot in a super high pair of platform shoes
with patent leather straps and a cute little buckle cinched at the
ankle.  Entrance is free with student ID.   Looks like I'm outta' luck.

My daughter seems to have matured quite a bit lately (either that or
I'm backsliding on maturity)  It's something that I have noticed that
my spouse doesn't seem to agree with me on.  I don't see her maturing
by leaps and bounds but, slowly but surely she's grasping what it is
that she needs to do,  how to set her priorities and what sacrifices
she will have to make to attain of her goals.  I like what I see
happening in her.  Her grades are coming up, she's not partying so many
nights a week, she's learned to be a little more responsible with her
money and her sense of humor is improving.

She's a gorgeous girl with a sharp mind and a whole life in front of
her. She's learning to grab life by the horns and wrestle from it what
she needs to be happy.

While I, her dad, seem to be hanging on those same horns for dear life
as they sling me and shake every bone in my body, thrilled to be along
for the ride but not near as in control as I'd like to be. Often I've
planted my feet to wrestle control and shape my world to my liking but
it's bigger than me and my coping mechanism is, "hang on and don't get
dizzy, enjoy the spinning calliope mural whirling by"

I think one of her last steps in maturity is that she must learn that
she will never be in control, well, not as much as she wants to be.

Working life more to your liking or getting slung around by its whims .
. .

  either way . . .

it can be one heck of a ride, can it not?

    bd
     -----