TheBanyanTree: Waiting for Spring

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Mar 13 06:07:36 PST 2005

Our spring has been delayed by an artic blast of cold air coming from
Canada.  Our once bare ground is now covered by a hard layer of snow.  Only
the sun’s angle melts away any snow on the sidewalks.

I wear the special clothing that wicks away sweat when I run.  That includes
the gloves and the socks.  But it’s been so cold, that I don’t start
sweating until towards the end of the run.  Then I get in my car and my
glasses steam up and I wear them down on my nose to see while I’m driving
home.  The sweat comes pouring out of my pores from head and streaks rivers
on my red face.  My hair is standing out at all angles and looks frizzled
and frazzled.  Running is definitely not for beauty.

The park has been empty this past week.  It’s too cold or snowy or windy to
want to do anything outside.  So I run alone, tromping on the paths around
the ponds and into the woods, my breath coming out like steam from a
locomotive.  I hear the early spring songs of the birds.  I saw three geese
when the pond had open water.  And one evening I saw a buck and a doe
watching in amazement while I ran by them.  I’m sure they thought I was the
strangest human they ever saw with my arms flailing back and forth and my
breath coming out in hard gasps and I was loping  along the curved path.

So I can motivate myself to get outside and run, but I can’t seem to
motivate myself to get the house ready for sale.  Believe me, I do want to
move.  But whenever I think about doing anything, I feel this leaden inertia
wash over me and I think I’m lazy because it’s not warm out.  I’m still in
my winter mode and want to hibernate in the house.

I need the garage to put our extra stuff in as I clean things out, and I
just don’t feel like digging and rearranging or doing anything in that cold
place.  Ray is already thinking about painting the rooms, he’s way ahead of
me on this project.  He finished redoing our foyer ceiling and it looks
great.  Plus, he saved us about $500 we would have paid for someone else to
do it.

Maybe I’ll feel more energetic after our cruise.  Maybe I need the hot sun
and the humidity and green trees and colorful flowers to get my blood
moving.  This cold weather certainly isn’t doing much for me.  I’m like the
bear in a cave, “Let me sleep for just a few more days.”

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a
song.
~Chinese Proverb