TheBanyanTree: A Change in the Air

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 06:50:43 PST 2005

I’m so lucky to live in Minnesota where the seasons undergo amazing
transitions.  We build our lives around these transitions.  We look forward
to the changes from summer to fall to winter and to spring to summer.

I think spring is our least defined season.  Our winter drags and on and on.
We have a few snowstorms in March and April, but we usually don’t get too
cold.  The air begins to warm up.  The birds begin to sing.  And the sun
stays around longer and lifts our dark moods.

Spring kind of sneaks in between the snow and the cold and the longer days.
After the snow is gone and the frost leaves the ground, the tulips and
daffodils will begin to sprout.  We’ll still have to wear our jackets for a
while.  Our furnaces will keep running into May to ward off the cool nights.

Then BAM!  It’s hot and it’s summer.  Spring is a blink of an eye and
suddenly summer is here.

So we don’t have great springs in Minnesota.  Our snow is melting right now
and the ground is squishy and ishy.  But there is that smell in the air, the
smell that seems warmer and full of promise that our short and ill-defined
spring is coming.

In anticipation of spring:

Ray began repairing our foyer ceiling, so there is plaster specks dotting
our walls, floors, and furniture.

I began running to prepare for actually running rather than walking a 5K
this summer.  The sidewalks have cleared of snow and ice and I chug along
with jiggling fat in my legs building up my endurance to run a short
distance.

I began tanning, preparing my white Minnesota skin for the super strong rays
of the sun in the Caribbean.  Later this month we’ll embark on our long
awaited Panama Canal cruise.  We’ll jump from the soggy spring to instant
summer for a couple of weeks and I’ll soak up every second of it.

I’m going to continue to clean out my closets to prepare to list our home in
April.  I have several plastic totes waiting to be filled with unused stuff.

Easter is around the corner.  I bought Easter baskets for the boys already.
I think I’ll get out my Easter decorations today.  Their pleasant pastel
colors will help ward off the early spring fever blues.

And I’ll continue to fill my lungs with that wonderful spring air.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a
song.
~Chinese Proverb