TheBanyanTree: Re: [Cheershere] UPDATE

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 12:07:42 PST 2005

I'm one of these people who swerve all over the country road on a rainy night
to keep from running over the hundreds of frogs that come out to the wet.  I
pick spiders up in tissue to deposit them outdoors rather than stomp on them
(besides, squashed spider stains).

I am also a mother, and well-experienced to that fury that rises up like a
giant flame when one of the children is in danger or being bullied.

I suppose the "mother" in my took over the other day, rather than the
"anti-squash" side of me, when I had my dogs out in the yard.  Buster the busy Pug
was dashing hither and yon after nothing in particular.  Mollie and Toby the
Chihuahuas were barking, something they do best. And Katie, the powder-puff
Havanese was turning cartwheels about the lawn chasing a butterfly.  Jenny the
"farm dog" was out digging in her favorite hole place. They are ALL puppies,
ranging from six to ten months of age, and not a sensible brain among them.

Out of the underbrush slid a giant (at least he looked to be a giant)  Pit
Bull.  All white excapt for a black patch on one side of his face and head.  His
thin body was multiply scarred, and he looked.  .hungry and mad.

Go away, I yelled, and I might as well held my breath. He sat and watched.  I
quickly gathered up my scattered brood and carried some back to the house,
calling for the others to follow.  Tiny Toby, all three pounds of him, ran out
to bark fiercely at the stranger.  Buster raced a wide circle around the Pit
Bull, and back to me, where I caught him by his collar.

I got Katie and Mollie in the house, Buster back in his crate, and went after
Toby The Protector, and Jenny. The Pit Bull lunged at Toby, but Jenny's
uncordinated leaping and bounding got in his way.  I grabbed Toby by his hind leg,
yelled at Jenny and the Pitt Bull, and at least got Toby to safety.  Jenny had
total brain fade and was dancing and barking like a wind-up toy gone mad. The
Pitt Bull went after her, and I threw a rake at him, which startled him and
Jenny both enough to cause a momentary stop-action.

I got Jenny back in her crate. Then I stood on the porch and stared at the
intruding dog. My thoughts were not charitable. I wielded my rake like a lance.

"Get out of here!" I yelled at the dog.  I was wondering if someone left the
driveway gate open, for that could be the only way in.  The dog turned and
trotted unconcerned, down the driveway and out the gate (which HAD been left open)

In addition to the puppies, I have young goats, two Miniature Horse mares
about to foal, and a dozen or so little chicks and ducks,

I shut and locked the gate and watched as the dog trotted down the road.

Don't come back again.  I could feel my murderous growl.

NancyLee