TheBanyanTree: The Thing About Friends

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 11:41:53 PST 2005

I met a little girl when we were both in grade school. We are still friends.
Since the fourth grade, our lives went on different paths, and here we are,
in far different places, with different careers, interests, problems, but . .
.we are still friends.  If we talk every three months, we fall back into our
fourth grade  comfort as easily as though it was a day ago.

I have newer friends, known only a few months or years. I don't pal around
with them, but if any one of us is in need, we are friends.

Something happens in the bonding of friendships. There may be a falling out,
a parting of ways, differences of opinions. Yet, you think of that person, and
deep inside, you are still and always friends.

Yesterday I got a letter from someone I have known decades. There was that
bonding, and we became friends, back then.  We now live a thousand miles apart,
and don't even communicate often. Yet, yesterday I got a letter.  In it, she
poured out all as we did when we lived closer, and traveled the same path that
moment in time.  I grabbed pen and paper and wrote right back, and my friend
suddenly came as clear to me as though we were sitting across a small table,
sharing coffee and important thoughts.

So, when someone comes back to the Tree, it's no wonder we can pick up where
we left off.

Welcome back. I am well. A ton of things have happened. I have been happy; I
have been heartbroken: I sold my beloved home, yet found another. I continue
to dream.

One day soon we'll sit down, across a small table, have coffee, and talk.

Welcome back.  I missed you.

NancyLee