TheBanyanTree: Ben

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Jun 30 06:38:46 PDT 2005

Ben and his wife and daughter were long-time neighbors. Once upon a time,
long ago, we were the "sundowner club", meeting each evening to sit on the beach
bench with our sunset refreshments, and contemplate the setting of the day's
sun. It was a ritual of quiet friendship, of sharing views and experiences, of
getting to know our inner selves.

Ben was the quiet one, droll of humor, gentle of smile, the one in the
neighborhood who stole our calamondons and then brought us jars of delicious
calamondon preserves each year.  Ben was handi-man challenged, but always willing to
lend a hand, even if it was only to hold the nail while we pounded.  It was
Ben's willingness and his constant  "man-on-the-job" who enabled the inspired
the building of the new walk bridge over the lagoon  (which we all used to get
to the beach). It was Ben who built the bridge between neighbors in disputes,
the voice of calm.  It was Ben who listened to and advised anyone, the fairest
judge in the block. Never intrusive, but always available.

Times and needs change, and Ben and his family sought to downsize.Though they
since moved away from the neach neighborhood, and so have we, and more or
less gone our separate ways, we kept in touch.

A few days ago, Ben suffered a stroke. Though it severly affected him
physically, it didn't dampen his intense determination to live as he wanted. And, he
chose, this time, not to fight.  If he couldn't be Ben, he didn't want to be
at all.

I hadn't seen or talked to Ben since Christmas, yet, his passing affected me
deeply. Ben, where ever you are now building bridges, you are missed.

NancyLee