TheBanyanTree: Decor

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 06:32:37 PDT 2005

We have lived here, in this particular house, for seven years.  It has
been a fine shelter.  A place to rest a weary head.  It has not ever
really and truly felt like a home to me.  I'm not sure if that's because
we moved around for so many years or if it is because we bought it in a
very tumultous period of life.  In either case, it has been a chore to
even like this residence let alone love it.

I think I love it, now.  Making way for my son and his wife has forced
me to undo some of the boring crap and replace it.  I'm in the frame of
mind to not replace boring with boring and have found myself decorating
and caring in a way unknown to this house.  This feels familiar, this
caring, this attention to detail.  It feels good.  I almost dare not
breathe this thought but it feels like the way I used to be long ago,
before.

So, I have been decorating and cleaning and learning.  Like this house
has more than one side and more than one purpose, so has my time been
spent not only in playing with fire but also in healing.  I have
rediscovered my music and time spent alone, I have danced in the
livingroom in a t-shirt and underwear as I was on the way to clean this
or that.  Singing to myself.  Discovering and loving the corners and
niches, those places previously ignored.

It's a healthy way to waste a day.

Maria