TheBanyanTree: Jena's Fruit Cake Recipe

JNorton eudora45 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 26 05:13:02 PST 2005

Here's my fruit cake recipe. It's one you can play with.

Jena's Fruit Cake

5 large eggs, beaten                          1 ¾ lbs. fruit*

½  lb. butter (not margarine)             4 cups nuts, chopped**

1 cup sugar                                           ½ oz. vanilla extract

1 ¾ c. plain flour                             ½ oz. lemon extract

½ tsp. baking powder

*Use either candied fruit cake mix, or a combination of the candied fruit, raisins, sultanas, currants, dried fruit and dates (my choice). You can make up your own combination.

**Use nuts of your choice. I use a combination of pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds. If I have them, I use brazil nuts, cashews (unsalted), also. I consider pecans a must, though!

Directions

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add beaten eggs and blend well.

Chop fruit and nuts (I use a food processor for this and only chop the nuts, dried fruit and dates. The other fruit I use as is).

Mix fruit and nuts with about ½ cup of the flour, to coat and separate. Do this by hand to make sure all the fruit is coated and not clumped together.

Add baking powder to remaining flour then fold into the butter-egg mixture. Add flavorings and mix well. I use the low speed on the mixer.

Add the fruit and nut mixture and mix by hand. This is the worst part! Be sure the fruit and nuts are well-coated by the batter.

Pour into a greased tube pan or 2 loaf pans (I spray with Pam), or use mini loaf pans.

Place in a cold oven and bake for 3 hours at 275 degrees. Adjust baking time if using smaller pans. Test for doneness with toothpick-if it comes out clean, it's done.

Let cool in pan and it comes out easily.

I soak the cake in brandy, wrap in foil and let sit for a couple of weeks. Then I add more brandy and rewrap. If you don't use brandy, freeze or refrigerate, then soak with apple juice or orange juice a couple of days before serving and return to the refrigerator.
Jena, Full Moon Warrior Princess