TheBanyanTree: Jonesing for Fruitcake

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:48:43 PST 2005

I am, and have been, a man in search of fruitcake.  Winter rolls
around, and the same old tired jokes about fruitcake make the rounds.
The fruitcake circling the globe like a chain letter, being passed
from person to person.  Fruitcake doorstops, fruitcake boat anchors.
You get the idea that nobody likes the stuff.

Last year I bought this overpriced little loaf at the local grocery
store.  It was chock full of candied fruit and had a metallic tang to
it.  It was not good fruitcake, but I ate it anyway.  What can I say,
I was desperate.  Where could I get something like Grandma used to
make?

This year I decided to find a good fruitcake recipe and make my own.
How hard could it be?  It turned out that it wasn't very difficult,
but it was a bit expensive.  Dried fruit ain't cheap, and dried
blueberries were nowhere to be found - I decided to scrap the idea
until I happened on a small supply at the local health food store.  I
ended up going to three different stores to round up everything I
needed, including small amounts of whole spices and candied ginger.

So I made a double batch of fruitcake, using a recipe I found on the
Food Network web site.  An Alton Brown recipe, for those of you who
like Alton (I do).  I ended up with two big loaves and one small one.
Lots of fruitcake, and me the only one in the house jonesing for the
stuff.    But fruitcake should be eaten and fruitcake should be given,
and so I gave one loaf to a friend.  I gave it to her on a Friday and
she called me on Monday.  "I ate the whole thing!" she said.  "I had
some for breakfast, then I had I had some for lunch, and more after
dinner, and by Sunday evening it was gone.  I couldn't stop!"  I
understood.  Fruitcake can have that effect on you.  I managed to make
my fat loaf and skinny loaf last two weeks.  This recipe was simply
exquisite - the flavors are complex and varied, rich and strong.

So here's the recipe without further ado.  I expect I'll make four
loaves next year and share the love again with fellow fruitcake
freaks.

FRUITCAKE (courtesy of Alton Brown)

1 cup golden raisins
1 cup currants
1/2 cup sun dried cranberries
1/2 cup sun dried blueberries
1/2 cup sun dried cherries
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 cup gold rum
1 cup sugar
5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
1 cup unfiltered apple juice
4 whole cloves, ground
6 allspice berries, ground
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken
Brandy for basting and/or spritzing

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and
macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.
Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter,
apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then
reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool
for at least 15 minutes. (Batter can be completed up to this point,
then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room
temperature before completing cake.)
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring
batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a
time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a
10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by
inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out
clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.
Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or
spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out
from pan.
When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe
container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with
brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two
weeks. If you decide to give the cake as a gift, be sure to tell the
recipient that they are very lucky indeed.