TheBanyanTree: Wind Chill

LLDeMerlè imijri at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 03:29:50 PST 2005

It's a beautiful moment, reflected in the face of a child who has been
steadfastly awaiting a Snow Day ever since the possibility of snow has
existed.  Admittedly, in our region, that can be as early as October and it
has, indeed, been as late as a recent Mother's Day, however, today is a real
Snow Day, with wind chill cooling us off to 25 below zero.

I out the kettle on, grind the coffee and turn on the television before he
arrives in the kitchen and asks with characteristic incredulity why I am not
watching for school closings.  The phone rings.  It's my better half,
calling from the television station he works at, bearing the
much-anticipated news:  No School.

The early ringing phone alerted the child to an anomaly in the morning
routine, causing him to spring from bed and wait with burgeoning excitement.

What is it?

Come here.

What?

Come closer.

Is it?

It is.  A Snow Day.

Eyes wide in disbelief at the incredible "luck," followed by cheering, mire
jubilation, and the ceremonial viewing of the school closings on the Hi-Def.

It's a good day.

LL